Moderator Control Panel ]

George (Waller) Edwards born c1843 - help needed!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: George (Waller) Edwards born c1843 - help needed!

Postby miss-granger » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Thank you so much everyone. I am catching up with my parents at the weekend and we will go through it all then and try to work out what it could all mean!

Hannah

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
miss-granger

Postby miss-granger » Fri May 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to raise this query again as I am still no nearer to finding any answers. I thought I would raise it again in case anyone can find anything out or signpost me to any more information/sources.

Many thanks,
Hannah

miss-granger

Postby ianbee » Mon May 30, 2016 2:49 pm

You don't sound very convinced about the possibility that George Edwards was Roland Ore.
One new piece of info comes from the 1939 Register
Jane Pennell - the lady who says she was born in Bromley - is with her son Eric. Living at Canal Cottage, somewhere in Oswestry Rural District, Shropshire.
Pennell Frances E, born 6 May 66, Widowed, Unpaid Domestic Duties
Pennell Eric R, born 11 Sep 06, Single, Incapacitated

That date of birth would certainly fit the likely birth registration of the daughter of George and Matilda Edwards
June 1866 Bromley 2a 275
Edwards, Frances E.
ianbee

Postby miss-granger » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi,

I wanted to say a huge thank you for your previous reply to my post. My mum and I finally had a chance to get together and have a good look through everything you discovered and the more we read the more convinced we were that you are correct.
It appears that my ancestor was born Roland Ore and took the alias of George Edwards for a while before becoming Roland Ore again. We would never have discovered this without your help.

The biggest question we had left was why?

I then discovered his name in a Police Gazeteer from 1864 (a year before his marriage when he first uses his new alias) saying that he was a deserter from Her Majesty's Armed Forces! I am convinced that this is the correct Roland Ore. I have attached a photo of the page (he is halfway down the second set of names).

I would be very interested if anyone has any knowledge of where we can go next e.g. Coldstream guards records? Court records perhaps if he was found and put on trial?

Many thanks,
Hannah

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1467060058.086798.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1467060058.086798.jpg (266.11 KiB) Viewed 994 times

miss-granger

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 pm

At this time, Soldier's personnel Records were only kept if they were awarded a pension. See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913-further-research/
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MonksVista » Tue May 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello my name is J. Waller. Your last set of dates are ringing some distant bells. My grandfather Alfred Waller was a master stonemason. I believe he was born in Canterbury. He brought up his five children in Kent. His wife was called Mary and her parents were from Yorkshire & Wales.
Places that may be of interest to you are Canterbury, Bromley, Deal, Yorkshire and Dagenham . His sons names: William, Sidney,Robert (Bob) &
His daughters: Mary, Helen or Ellen.
Best J
MonksVista

Previous

Return to General research queries