Moderator Control Panel ]

My scenario, is it realistic.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

My scenario, is it realistic.

Postby fuzzyfoz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:48 pm

Hello,
I need advice on how to trying to locate my 3xgrandfather ROBERT WOODHOUSE b.abt 1785 possible birthplace Birmingham military records.
He was a gunsmith and travelled to Scotland and Ireland as well as England.
Two of his children show birth places as Cork Ireland (1827) and Glasgow Scotland ((1823).
Please indulge me in a scenario - of my ROBERT being an apprenticeship with a family member in Birmingham (so no premium and no entry in apprentice duty registers) which was a centre of the gunmaking industry.
Having served an informal apprenticeship, he looks for a job, and it so happens Britain is at war with France, leading to a big demand for armourers, either with an infantry regiment or militia.
The militia I understand did not serve abroad, being used to deal with disturbances at home amongst other things, but were they sent to Ireland? ROBERT, a young man looking for adventure, so he decides to join up.
He'd have the necessary skills, and when war is over, he's able to use these skills again to support his family.
Robert next shows up in Exeter sometime between 1820-1839 which has an artillery base.
Thank you for your time, where or who I could I contact to go about proving this scenario?
I have received help on this site before and look forward to hearing from an expert.
Many thanks
fuzzyfoz
fuzzyfoz

Re: My scenario, is it realistic.

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:47 am

I think you need to check baptism registers in those areas including the military ones - from memory the latter are on FMP?

I think you have to check militia recruitment records for Warwickshire and Devon (because if you allow me a scenario, I still wonder if the place in question is Brixham, attractive though Birmingham is). These are generally found in County Record Offices. The essential problem is that there might not be enough data to distinguish your chap from someone else with the same name.

Then there are pay lists for militia and regulars at Kew. The problem is that while we can see two possible county militias, if he did turn out to be a regular, then, in the worst case scenario, he could be in any regiment or corps. I think that to cover the case of him being a regular, you can't go through all the battalion, regimental and corps pay lists manually at Kew, as only a proportion of them are online through Ancestry. Instead you have to identify which regiments or units of corps (such as artillery or engineers) were at the places of his children's births and find one that was at all those places. That is a problem. My only suggestion is to look at the Army Lists on Archive.Org to see if regiments list where they are stationed.

Having identified possible regiments you need to check the pay lists at Kew. These are seriously short on identification data other than the names but at least the absence of a name helps to eliminate that unit.

I am assuming that he cannot be found amongst the Army pensioners on FMP.

That's my initial thought - grateful for any comment.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:03 am

My concern about the idea of him being in the militia is that he seems awfully well travelled for a militiaman. The militia were called up during the Napoleonic Wars but I thought call up after then would be seldom and almost certainly only for short local service. I don't know this for certain - it's just a concern that I'd want to check in histories of the units.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby fuzzyfoz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:39 am

Thanks again Adrian.
Wonderful suggestions which I shall follow up on.
Fuzzyfoz
fuzzyfoz

Return to Military help