Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with ancestors occupation.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help with ancestors occupation.

Postby philippereynolds » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi, I have just found a record for my 2 x great grand father. A marriage record (1865) in Dublin has his occupation as; Private 61 Regt.

I have no other records of him being in the Army. Could anyone help with explaining what kind of soldier he may have been and why he would be in Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Philippe

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
philippereynolds

Re: Help with ancestors occupation.

Postby scottie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:25 pm

The 61st Gloucester Regiment were posted to Ireland in 1865 and were engaged in election duty in Dublin in July that year. They left Ireland in September 1866. Check out www.glosters.org/textonly_timeline/4

Sent from my SM-T310 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
scottie

Postby researchgranny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:29 pm

There were numerous regiments at various locations in Ireland at that time and you might find it useful to do some general reading about army records to help you understand the regimental system. Military records take a bit of understanding but once you get to grips with them, you can uncover much useful information.

I have found a record of a soldier from enlistment in Carlisle in 1820 until his death in 1832 using the pay lists held at The National Archives, and uncovered lots of useful information, including confirmation that , after his death, the army paid the costs of transporting his widow and children to Carlisle. This soldier spent most of his time in Ireland, and seemed to spend a lot of time marching around Ireand !

Sent from my GT-N8010 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
researchgranny

Postby peter kent » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 am

If I were you I would read the research guide

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... p-to-1913/
peter kent

Postby philippereynolds » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:33 pm

As ever thanks for all the help. I will take at look at the links.
Philippe

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
philippereynolds

Return to Military help