Moderator Control Panel ]

Frank Gardner's episode

Chat about the 12th series of the landmark TV programme, which features the likes of Paul Hollywood, Jerry Hall and Gareth Malone

Frank Gardner's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:26 am

Tomorrow evening at 9pm, Frank Gardner's episode will be shown on BBC One. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm assured that it's a fascinating story going back several centuries, with tales of royalty and political scandal.

Tell us what you thought about the programme below...
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Frank Gardner's episode

Postby pete25 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:18 am

I've stopped watching the programme now. I want to see where, and how, they accessed records...not just the story. It would be nice to see how the programme put the flesh on the bones of these family history stories.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Frank Gardner's episode

Postby coopernicola » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:47 pm

In each of the last 3 issues of WDYTYA magazine these details have been documented, starting with Paul Hollywood.
coopernicola

Postby Editor » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:13 pm

I've watched the episode and it's a real classic. I absolutely loved it, but then I always like WDYTYA episodes that get me reaching for the tissues. BTW if you want to know more about which archives the researchers use, then follow us on Twitter during the episode (or look at our Twitter account afterwards if you don't want to be disturbed during viewing!). It's @wdytyamagazine and I'll be on duty tonight so feel free to tweet/retweet with me.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby eurogordi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Just finished watching Frank Gardner's WDYTYA episode which I found absolutely fascinating ... because it seems I am distantly related to Frank. Towards the end when Frank was at the College of Arms, he discovered he was descended from Joan Plantagenet (aka Joan of Acre), the daughter of Edward I. Joan and her husband, Gilbert de Clare, had many children. Frank is descended from Margaret de Clare and I am descended from her sister, Elizabeth de Clare. William the Conqueror is Frank's 29th great grandfather and my 27th great grandfather.
eurogordi

Postby junkers » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:44 pm

I thought tonight's episode was excellent and covered quite a lot, but when his ancestor was sent to the Tower of London you knew it wasn't going to end well. I do find it annoying with the comments about finding out where the records were found as it is there in the programme.
junkers

Postby philippereynolds » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:47 am

The best episode ever, just fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
philippereynolds

Postby scottie » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:45 am

Frank Gardner's episode was wonderful - I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and seeing his joy at being descended from William the Conqueror. This episode and Paul Hollywood's have been the best in this series so far!

Sent from my SM-T310 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
scottie

Postby lesleyplant » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:35 am

I loved this episode. What a result for Frank! I enjoyed it even more than usual because he's obviously an intelligent, well-read man - he was quick at understanding & handling the various resources and asked great questions, so we got further than some folks have taken things. I also spotted Thomas Arundell alongside Frank's ancestor Michael Stanhope - wondering if this is the Thomas Arundell from Trerice/Trerise (Cornwall)... there's always more to investigate!
lesleyplant

Postby beacon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:56 am

I enjoyed every minute of this episode.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
beacon

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2015