Moderator Control Panel ]

Unknown solider regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Unknown solider regiment

Postby JPM90 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Hello everyone.
There is a real mystery in my family about my great grandfather who fought in WW1. My grandfather always insisted he fought with the enniskillen fusillers. However having contact them, there was no record of a Daniel Mallon. My great grandfather came from Airdrie/Coatbridge area in Scotland. I have uploaded a photo taken of him during the war but it doesnt give any details. He was presumed dead as he was taken POW in Russia but there is no evidence of his time in the war.
Attachments
Daniel mallon with william his brother 1915.jpg
Photo of Daniel Mallon 1915
Daniel mallon with william his brother 1915.jpg (292.79 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
JPM90

Unknown solider regiment

Postby brunes08 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:06 pm

I was told that my grandfather served in the Northumberland and Durham Fusiliers during the 1WW. I could not find any evidence for that over a long period of searching. Eventally, I found him serving in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry which was logical I suppose as he was a Yorkshireman. He had, however, enlisted in Newcastle which may have caused the initial mistake. I'm not saying that your grandfather didn't serve as you suggest but as I found, family stories often become altered over time.
Have you checked the National Archives site or, for example, Ancestry as he could possibly be listed there.
brunes08

Re: Unknown solider regiment

Postby brunes08 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:28 pm

I have just had a look on the National Archives site. Under British Army Medal Index Cards 1914-1918, I found 2 entries for a Daniel Mallon.
I. Daniel Mallon - Royal Highlanders/Royal Scots Fusiliers
2. Daniel Mallon - Army Service Corps
You are able to download these cards to see if they might be one you need. Hope they are of help.
brunes08

Postby peter kent » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:09 am

He was presumed dead as he was taken POW in Russia but there is no evidence of his time in the war.

Could you amplify that please, it could be helpful in tracking him down. There doesn't seem to be an entry in the Commonwealth War Graves site for him which there should be if he was presumed dead. Did he die? What's your source for that information?
peter kent

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:33 am

If it's any help - and it might not be - the Russians were on our side while they were combatants in the First World War. The only point at which Russia might have taken any British soldiers prisoner, would have been during the rather ill judged interventions in the Russian Civil War after November 1918 when a couple of small groups of the British Army fought against the Soviets.

Now I know that campaign medals were issued to at least some of these troops and surely this would include any prisoners or their next of kin. Hence his name should appear in the Medal Rolls and the Medal Index Cards.

Having said that, I would not be surprised to find oddities about that episode.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Don't assume that just because a British soldier died during WW1 that he will appear on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission records.

A number are missing and as they are found and evidence is produced to show they should be included their names are being added.

Have a look at http://www.infromthecold.org/ which is doing sterling work in ensuring names are not missed.
phsvm

Postby Millst » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:23 am

Some navy and army personnel served in northern Russia in 1919. My great uncle died near Archangel in August 1919 and is recorded in the Commonwealth Graves Commission records. There are several cemeteries in that area. Archangel Allied Cemetery seems to be the main one there but most personnel are noted as being buried in other churchyards.

On the particular page of entries that I have saved, regiments mentioned are the Royal Fusilliers and the Yorkshire Regiment and the East Yorkshire Regiment, 17th Btn Kings Liverpool Regiment and the Royal Army Medical Corps. As this is page 8 and there are at least 14 pages there is scope for finding other regiments listed and, of course, there were probably other areas too.

If he was a P.O.W he may have been taken to another area.
Millst

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:42 pm

The interesting thing is that I have failed to find any mention of British personnel being taken prisoner by the Bolsheviks. Doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I did find a mention of some Americans taken PoW but the whole tone of the piece was - how unusual. So either a bunch of blokes are being unfairly ignored or...

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JPM90 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:11 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:The interesting thing is that I have failed to find any mention of British personnel being taken prisoner by the Bolsheviks. Doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I did find a mention of some Americans taken PoW but the whole tone of the piece was - how unusual. So either a bunch of blokes are being unfairly ignored or...

Sent from my GT-I8190N

Hello all Thank you for your kind responses. I am aware of the two daniel mallons on the medal cards but the images dont give any personal details (ages or locations) which would further increase my search. Regarding the POW story. There was a letter sent home (Ive not seen it and dont know where it is) informing his mother that the son had died at war. He then returned a few weeks later. There was always mention of Russia but yes I accept that this may be odd as they were on our side right enough... Any thoughts>
JPM90

Postby JPM90 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:13 pm

brunes08 wrote:I have just had a look on the National Archives site. Under British Army Medal Index Cards 1914-1918, I found 2 entries for a Daniel Mallon.
I. Daniel Mallon - Royal Highlanders/Royal Scots Fusiliers
2. Daniel Mallon - Army Service Corps
You are able to download these cards to see if they might be one you need. Hope they are of help.

Hello thanks
Yes I checked these 2 records but it was very strange because they only contained a name and didnt provide any other details which would otherwise help me to confirm which regiment it was?
many thanks
JPM90

Next

Return to Military help