Moderator Control Panel ]

Unknown solider regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Unknown solider regiment

Postby JPM90 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi all
Please see the attached I downloaded from the archives. It is interesting because I don't know if the information is of any use to me to distinguish the two Daniel Mallon's?
Many thanks for advice
Attachments
daniel mallon 2.JPG
daniel mallon 2.JPG (140.93 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
daniel mallon 1.JPG
WO war records for both Daniel Mallon
daniel mallon 1.JPG (137.42 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
JPM90

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:49 pm

JPM90 wrote:... There was a letter sent home (Ive not seen it and dont know where it is) informing his mother that the son had died at war. He then returned a few weeks later. ...

Oh dear. Can you please confirm that you are saying that he was presumed dead - but he wasn't dead, after all, and turned up later? Only we hadn't got past "presumed dead" until just - that's why we assumed that was the end of his story, so we were looking in the CWGC records for reports of his death / burial and being concerned that we couldn't find it. Well, if he turned up alive, his burial wouldn't be in the CWGC records (well, unless he died within a couple of years due to the effects of the war).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JPM90 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:32 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:
JPM90 wrote:... There was a letter sent home (Ive not seen it and dont know where it is) informing his mother that the son had died at war. He then returned a few weeks later. ...

Oh dear. Can you please confirm that you are saying that he was presumed dead - but he wasn't dead, after all, and turned up later? Only we hadn't got past "presumed dead" until just - that's why we assumed that was the end of his story, so we were looking in the CWGC records for reports of his death / burial and being concerned that we couldn't find it. Well, if he turned up alive, his burial wouldn't be in the CWGC records (well, unless he died within a couple of years due to the effects of the war).

Yes sorry for being unspecific, he was presumed dead but returned from the war. He lived until 1969. There is just a veil of secrecy and confusion over who he fought with, where and the events surrounding his supposed mistaken death or POW. No one alive can tell me now and all I ca find are those 2 medal cards... Oddd
JPM90

Postby Colleen Newton » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:59 am

On The Commonwealth War Graves site, I found Private Daniel Mallon #464143, who died 11.4.1917. He was in The Canadian Infantry, 47th Battalion, Western Ontario Regiment. He is buried at the Vimy Memorial, Calais.
Colleen Newton

Postby g w aldous » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Firstly soldiers were put into whichever Regt needed them.
the picture you have looks to have a shoulder title with a fusil above it on the epaulette.
As you say the Royal Inniskilling have no record of him and you have a record card for Daniel in the Royal Scots Fusilliers I would go for that.
the shoulder titles would be about the same length.
g w aldous

Previous

Return to Military help