Moderator Control Panel ]

Researching the other way! (Ransom family)

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Researching the other way! (Ransom family)

Postby Pitcairn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:56 pm

I would really like to see an article about recommended methods of researching from a distant ancestor to the present day by following the line of his children and their children and so on. What is the easiest way of doing this? My gt gt grandfather had quite a few sons and I am descended from the youngest. I would like to find descendants of his older children.
Pitcairn

RE: Researching the other way! (Ransom family)

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Hi Pitcairn,

It depends what time period we are talking about but I have traced quite a few descendants of my great great grandparents by using Ancestry, and buying birth death and marriage certificates. It gets harder once you get past 1901 though because that is the last census we have to refer back to.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Guy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:53 am

It is always more difficult and more expensive to trace forwards rather than backwards as the majority of records (barring wills) mention ancestors rather than descendants.

If the surname is uncommon it is worth chasing living peoples trees back to try to prove the connection.
For rather more common names use the GRO index (in reverse) and keep buying certificates to prove the connections.
A further way may be through the Goons (Guild of One Name Studies) if there is a Goon researching your particular surname they will share the relevant information with you.
Cheers
Guy
Guy

Postby Simon in Bucks » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:16 pm

Another way is to list all the details you may have - for instance from the 1901 Census - and send a note to the local newspaper looking for living people related to that family.

I did that a few weeks ago, and got a contact - so it does work.
Simon in Bucks

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:33 pm

Yes, I once put an advert in The Western Australian newspaper (you can do it for free) and had about 8 replies. I managed to trace living relatives whom I'm still in touch with. I've found it easier to trace living people in Australia than this country! In Australia they also have the free White Pages directory too which helps.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Simon in Bucks » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:33 pm

Even the smallest bits of information are better than nothing, so well worth a go at contacting the local newspaper.
Simon in Bucks

Postby Pete Seaton » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:30 am

another thing is to open a messge board based on your surname, like i have, then you may scoop up possible relations.
Pete Seaton

Return to Genealogy chat