Moderator Control Panel ]

Anne Reid's episode

Chat about the 12th series of the landmark TV programme, which features the likes of Paul Hollywood, Jerry Hall and Gareth Malone

Anne Reid's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 am

Tonight, Last Tango in Halifax star Anne Reid discovers her roots in the latest episode of Who Do You Think You Are? – already the sixth instalment of the series!

As before, share your miniature missives below.

Cheers,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Anne Reid's episode

Postby Helen Baggott » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Fascinating programme but I felt Anne R was a little delusional.

The value of passage home put his crime into financial perspective - it was a hell of a lot of money that he had attempted to extort.

Husband was not the cause of his downfall, he brought up his grandson and probably saved his life.

When you read of people being transported for lesser crimes, being pregnant and giving birth on the ships, then you can feel badly for them.
Helen Baggott

Postby junkers » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:22 pm

I thought that the episode was good, but I thought that trying to compare transportation, certainly better than death, with more modern views, would we for example send bankers in the financial crash of 2008 to an isolated island. The Kirk Session it has been said had double standards but were very strict and he did seem to be unsuitable for the job he was given.
junkers

Postby scottmm » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:51 am

I watched this episode with added interest as I realised days before that they were researching my same family of Husband's!
My William Muir married Margaret Husband's younger sister Isabella in Logie in 1841, they went on to run a successful hotel in nearby Cupar called the Burnside Hotel. So this was all around the time of John Reid's misdemeanour.
I thought that Anne Reid came across as very naive, her position on blaming everyone else but the criminal John Reid was frankly unfair. I don't think she really understood what life and society was like in that part of Scotland in 1850 when the kirk and the landed gentry called all the shots. David Husband had little choice, £49 was a lot of money, probably equivalent to about £5000 now, he also had a large family to think about. John Reid made a bad choice and was found out. It was really great for me to get the WDYTYA experience personally, although being an amateur genealogist, doing all the graft yourself and then making the discoveries is a very satisfying and enlightening process.
Seeing the fine farmhouse they lived in made me think that David Husband and his wife Isabella were hard working farming people who had got on, and gave me the impression that my William Muir must have been of a similar disposition.
A good programme, especially explaining the transportation process in the historical context.
scottmm

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:20 am

I also realised a slight link from one of the Pickstocks of mid Cheshire - a James Pickstock, originally of Stockport and transported to Tasmania in the 1820s. He's probably one of mine but the link is not certain yet.

People often seem to imagine that one could be transported for sneezing in the general direction of a magistrate - OK - I probably exaggerate a bit there. But while this Pickstock was transported for stealing handkerchiefs, which seems to confirm the stereotypes, research shows that firstly there seems to have been a gang of them, which implies a bigger operation, and secondly, he'd already been found guilty of larceny and imprisoned twice before at Quarter Sessions.

So it was interesting to see Tasmania - the system may have been different for my guy but it's hardly likely to have been easier for someone described as a very bad character. And nice to see it made explicit that someone had to pay their own passage back to the UK - I suspected that was the case but hadn't yet seen it made explicit.

I shall have to investigate these "sophisticated IOUs" a bit more. Both my GG-GF and his father went bankrupt in Scotland and there were an awful lot of debts owed by and to them both that don't seem to be business related. Maybe these notes were involved? In which case this is a further explanation for the severity given to the forgery. Maybe the use of them was so widespread that a loss of confidence in them would undermine huge numbers of people.

So lots of useful insights.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:44 pm

When the First Fleet sailed to Australia - arriving in 1788 - there had been no plans or intentions to return convicts who had completed their sentences back to the UK. Therefore, they would have to pay for themselves or work their passage home. At that time there were some 200 crimes that were punishable by death. Gaols were overcrowded and there was concern amongst many at the number of death sentences passed for what today may just receive a caution. It was decided therefore that transportation was a better option. It was hoped to build colonies in that part of the world for various reasons, some political and some economic.
brunes08

Postby Gilly72 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:06 pm

I didn't enjoy this episode. Anne came across as immature and a little over the top in her condemnation of the father-in-law (who was the one who was wronged, and he still brought up his grandchildren) and in the defence of John Reid. Many people at that time had debts and money problems and people still do but they didn't all steal from family! You have to try and put yourself in that situation and bear in mind the times, the past is a different country and all that.

I'm am afraid to say I am not enjoying this series, a bit slow and repetitive. Heart rendering and interesting stories but not like the fascinating, absorbing, fast paced format it once was.
Gilly72

Postby velmascooby » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:06 pm

I agree with you Gilly-I haven't enjoyed this series at all :( I've found it very dull. I'm sad to say I think it's run its course. I loved watching the previous series' but this one has been awful. The Anne Reid episode is the worst so far-she came across as a very silly old lady, the bit where she said "I hope they all died horrible deaths" (regarding those who found her ancestor guilty) was quite frankly, offensive & unecessary. She's a very odd woman. It was cringey to watch her making a fool of herself. Sad about this series-was always one of my favourite programmes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
velmascooby

Postby bookworm » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:49 am

I have just caught up with this episode and I was very disappointed by it. Anne Reid, who I have always admired as an actor, came across as very silly and narrow-minded about the whole affair. I was particular shocked that in her summary statement she said the only thing Thomas Reid had really done was to name his son after the grandfather who destroyed his father. Why on earth didn't she focus on the fact that John Reid had stolen an awful lot of money from a close family member and that that family member then brought up his children in his absence. I wish we had heard more about David Husband as he sounds like the real hero of the piece.

Joanne

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Best regards
Joanne
bookworm

Postby Chadwi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:59 pm

I have only just got round to watching this episode.

1. I don't agree that this series is woeful. I still have more episodes to catch up on but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.

2. I actually found this episode one of the more absorbing as it covered aspects not covered in previous programs.

3. However, I do agree that I found 'Annie' quite obnoxious: defending the actions of her criminal ancestor, wanting horrible deaths to have befallen the wronged and defaming David Husband. It's really soured my view of her!
Chadwi

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2015