Moderator Control Panel ]

Reverend Percival Ernest James New Zealand

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Reverend Percival Ernest James New Zealand

Postby bernardhowell » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:20 am

I am trying to track down the movements of the above. After serving in ww1 as an army chaplain in Mesopotamia and Egypt he turns up in NewZealand in 1923 marrying Lilian May Fenwick. He then goes on to quite an illustrious career that is well documented in the N.Z. Church.
I have had no success in the outgoing passenger lists and wonder is it possible he could have become involved with the ANZAC's after Gallipoli and gone home with them?
I am also interested in Leonard Arnold James b 1895 Emigrated to N.Z. 1913, military service Canterbury Infantry Regiment 27-10-14 to 4-8-16 discharged wounded .
I wonder if anyone in New Zealand can help me with these two people.
In advance, many thanks
bernard
bernardhowell

Re: Reverend Percival Ernest James New Zealand

Postby JaneyH » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:03 am

Hi Bernard, I don't know how many NZ readers this website has, but I suspect it may be relatively few. You may want to post your enquiries on Rootschat, which has a dedicated board for NZ research. See: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/new-zealand/

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:52 am

The Colonist, Thursday 26 June 1919
Cable advice has been received by Dr A. W. Averill, Aglican (sic) Bishop of Auckland, that the Rev. Percival Ernest James, M.A., of England, has accepted the charge of St. Mary's Cathedral, Parnell. Before the war Mr James was engaged in scholastic work in Durham, Engiand, but during the war served as a chaplain to the forces in Mesopotamia. Archdeacon G. MacMurray, the former vicar of St. Mary's, resigned in April last.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:59 am

Another one,
Auckland Star, 21 June 1919
NEW VICAR APPOINTED.
AN ENGLISH CLERGYMAN.
Dr. Averill, Anglican Bishop of Auckland, has received a cable from England, stating that Rev. Percival Ernest James, M.A., has accepted the charge of St. Mary's Cathedral, Parnell. For about a year past endeavours have been made by the Bishop, in conjunction with the diocesan board of nomination and the cathedral vestry, to find a successor to Ven. Archdeacon MacMurray, who relinquished his duties last Easter, having handed in his resignation early in 1918. Inquiries were made in the Dominion and Australia without result, but lately the Bishop received communications from former New Zealand clergy whom he had consulted in England, strongly recommending Mr. James, who is a scholar and exhibitioner of Queen's College, Oxford, and has served as a military chaplain in Mesopotamia. The vestry unanimously agreed to authorise the Bishop to offer the living to Mr. James, and this was done by cable, with the result stated.
Mr. James, who is a comparatively young man, is described as a brilliant preacher. He was engaged before the war in scholastic work at Durham. He is unmarried, and will probably be aocompanied to New Zealand by his sister. When he will arrive is not known. The cathedral parish is at present in charge of Rev. Dr. T. O'Callaghan, who is assisted by Rev. J. R. Burgin.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:13 am

He was instituted as incumbent of St Mary's, 1 February 1920. So he must have arrived in NZ in January 1920 at the latest.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:38 am

Getting closer!
Auckland Star, 27 September 1919
The Rev. Percival James, M.A., vicar designate of St. Mary's, Parnell, is expected to reach New Zealand about the end of November.......
ianbee

Postby bernardhowell » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:08 am

Once again Ian and JaneyH thanks for your speedy responses to my query. Janey as you suggested Rootschat would be a good source, I tried them and the response from one contributor was overwhelming within about twelve hours. Highly recommended.
Bernard
bernardhowell

Postby Egghead » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:02 am

I am from New Zealand.
If you go on to the website archway.archives.govt.nz the WW1 records are there for Leonard Arnold JAMES.
Do a simple search and put his name into the search bar. There are digital records to download - 19 pages of his WW1 records. It makes reference to his father Rev. P James.

Egghead

Postby bernardhowell » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks Egghead I will check them out
bernardhowell

Postby Egghead » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:03 am

Hi again,
I found a marriage for Leonard Arnold JAMES in 1920 New Zealand - not sure where, to a Constance Emily KEMPTHORNE born 16th March 1894.

A Leonard Arnold JAMES was buried 19th February 1957 Block, Section 21 Row 27 Plot 23 age 63 years in Tauranga Anglican Cemetery, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand.
His wife Constance Emily JAMES buried 19th September 1979 Details as above, but Plot 24. They share a headstone.
The headstone is very difficult to read as it is covered in lichen-moss.

Also buried in the same cemetery are the following who also appear to be related-----
Ethel Mary JAMES died 8th July 1978 age 88 years. Section 27 Row 24 Plot 74A. She shares a headstone with John Frederick JAMES died 21st September 1966. There is a lovely photo of their grave.
ALSO, TIMOTHY JOHN DYAS JAMES - TRAGICALLY DROWNED - age 13 years. Block Section 22 Row 27 Plot 40A. Also a photo of his grave.
These photos appear on the Tauranga Govt. site - just google "Tauranga cemetery records" and type in their names for the records and photos.

Hopefully this is of use to you.

Egghead

Next

Return to Military help