Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Cattell. Royal Warwicks. Regt.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Thomas Cattell. Royal Warwicks. Regt.

Postby TiggyW » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:53 pm

my grandfather was Thomas Cattell born 16 January 1898 in Aston Birmingham. His parents Caroline nee Wood and James Alfred Cattell. We know he was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in W.W.1 and was a batman to an officer. Other than that we know absolutely nothing, not even his service number, my sister and daughter have both looked. We would be grateful for any help. Thanks.
TiggyW

Re: Thomas Cattell. Royal Warwicks. Regt.

Postby Sylcec » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 pm

There's no Medal Index Card for a man of that name in the Royal Warks Regt. Do you have any photos of him in uniform or other memorabilia which would help the search?
Sylcec

Postby TiggyW » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:02 pm

I've just found a service number that I'd written down,didn't realise I'd got it...
301733 Pte.re. I don't know if that helps. He must have been some kind of reservist when my father was a boy because he remembers seeing grandad on parade at the barracks in Duddeston.That would be sometime in the late 1920's. We don't have any photos. Thanks for looking.
TiggyW

Postby peter kent » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:57 am

There was a 301733 Private Thomas Cattell in the Essex Regiment.
peter kent

Postby TiggyW » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Thank you for that. We had always been told by our dad and aunt that grandad was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Dad is well into his 90's and is still convinced he's right! We're more opened minded, could you tell us where you found the info so my sister can look? Granddad was the third of four brothers,my sister found a Bertie Cattell in the 11th Suffolks which we'd discounted so maybe that's correct now.He was the youngest brother. Thank you.
TiggyW

Postby Sylcec » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Unfortunately, he seems to be one of those soldiers for whom only a Medal Index Card remains and this shows that he received the British War and Victory Medals only.
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:54 pm

Bear in mind that he could have transferred between regiments. He would have been a conscript at that age and they had no choice in their unit. After the war ended, he might have asked to be transferred to the RWR which is why that one got remembered in the family.

The other thing is that if he was in the Army in some form in the late 1920s, then his papers should still be with the Ministry of Defence. I can never remember the exact cut off date and given that we are relying on family memory, there is still a chance that his service finished earlier than that and so his papers would not be with the MoD.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:22 am

Thomas Cattell's entry in the actual medal rolls show he was in the 11th battalion of the Essex Regiment.

He may have joined the Territorial Army after the war which may possibly explain the recollection about Duddeston barracks. TA records are more likely to be found in local or regimental archives.
peter kent

Postby TiggyW » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:22 am

Thank you all for taking the time to find information about grandads regiment. very much appreciated.
TiggyW

Postby teddygreen1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:05 pm

hi im tiggy sister and just looked at electrol roll i got the number from. it was birmingham electrol roll 1919 4/ 18 william place and has got r e by the side of his name so thank you all forthat
teddygreen1

Next

Return to Military help