Moderator Control Panel ]

LEE family Shoreditch

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: LEE family Shoreditch

Postby sbewhite1 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:12 am

Ruth Duncan/Croucher/Wood,

I just want to give feedback into what I have found. I now have a copy of Ruth Duncan's will and the will left the bulk of her estate to her daugher Elizabeth (married name Woodhouse) and her granddaughters after funeral and other expenses were dealt with Elizabeth, Joseph Edward Lee and William Lee were all executors of the will. Ruth also made at 200 pounds bequest to her son Samuel Duncan Croucher (listed as residing in Australia) in the will. This would tie in with our Samuel here is Australia. There are no shipping/death or marriage records in Australia for a Samuel Duncan Croucher but there are for Samuel Duncan Wood. My next search intends to be anything on Jarvis Wood either a death or Will which may indicate that Samuel took on Wood name for a reason.

I am yet to find a baptism record for Samuel

Sue White
sbewhite1

Postby ianbee » Fri May 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Sue
That is excellent news, thank you for telling us.
With Ruth saying that her son Samuel was living in Australia, I'm sure that your theory about your Samuel Duncan Wood is correct. £200 for him, that must have been quite a lot of money back then!
There are now a few of us on here with Duncan from Dorking connections, welcome to the club!

Only just found out that Ruth Wood was buried at Abney Park Cemetery, 23 November 1866. And there's that death announcement in a newspaper as well.
The baptism that Katherine found for Samuel's sister was many years after her birth, so it may be that Ruth didn't have Samuel baptized, which would be a great pity from our point of view.
Jarvis still remains a mystery, I fear.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for the update. I haven't been checking the forum as regularly so have only just seen it. I'll check what I've got and let you know if I can add any information.
ksouthall

Postby sbewhite1 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Thank you all for your guidance.
I pretty much sure now that I am in the right direction in regard to Samuel and the change of name.
I have checked for shipping , birth death and marriage records in each state in Australia for records of a Samuel Duncan Croucher and came up empty handed. There was not even any for a Samuel Croucher.

There are also no requests in the newspapers here for any one looking for a Samuel Croucher which used to appear quite frequently when some one from the old country had died and left a bequest. The family in England must have known where Samuel was. He and his family lived in the one place for about 25 years and actually owned a home and land . He married and all his children were born in the same town.

I will keep looking for Jarvis and I will let the other descendants of Samuel know what I have found as I am in contact with someone in all but one of the lines of he and wife's children.

Cheers

Sue White
sbewhite1

Postby ksouthall » Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello Sue,

I checked my family tree and I don't have any birth or death details for Jarvis Wood. He was briefly in Marshalsea for debt.

I wonder if perhaps he changed his name...

Is it possible that John Croucher and Jarvis Wood were the same person?

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby sbewhite1 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Katherine,

Thanks for looking. I knew he was in the debtors gaol and I can find him in the electoral roll up to 1837 at City Road Shoreditch, so I had been assuming he died sometime between 1837-1841 where he disappeared from records. Whether John Croucher and Jarvis were the same man , I don't know.
Anything is possible but why wait so long to marry Ruth ?

I will continue searching, it is suprising where you find things.

I have contacted my Wood Family members here and let them know what I have found and they are very interested.

Regards
Sue White
sbewhite1

Previous

Return to General research queries