Moderator Control Panel ]

LEE family Shoreditch

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: LEE family Shoreditch

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:24 pm

ksouthall wrote:.....However, I found a baptism for a Joseph Edward Lee in Dorking in 1801: son of Joseph and Sarah Lee.

In the 1851 Census, Joseph Edward Lee was a Master Pastry Cook and Confectioner living at 5 Plumber Row. His name is indexed as Joseph C Lee however the middle initial looks like a capital E to me.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:01 am

ksouthall wrote:Eliza Lee - his youngest daughter - bpt. 8th May 1822 in Shoreditch - she was the main beneficiary of his household goods.

Eliza Lee married Daniel Wheeler in Berkshire in about 1850, as corroborated by the 1856 probate record for her father. Daniel Wheeler died in 1866.

Eliza remarried Thomas Smith Packer in Oxfordshire in 1885. He was about 31 years younger than Eliza.

Eliza Packer died in Holborn in 1898. Her death was followed by a further grant of probate for her father, Joseph Lee. This granted probate to a Joseph Lee, oil and colourman.

Thomas Smith Packer remarried and emigrated to Canada where he died in Calgary General Hospital on 2nd May 1909. His widow returned to England and remarried a widower. She died in Eastbourne in 1953.
ksouthall

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 am

That was a brilliant find Katherine, the baptism of Joseph Edward Lee in Dorking, 6 November 1801. A birth date in 1800 is given, and I don't think Joseph ever says he was born there, likely he wasn't. That baptism was just four days after the burial of Mary Duncan, Sarah's mother. So it seems that could be the reason the Lees were in Dorking at that time. Her father, James Duncan, doesn't seem to have married again, although he had a large number of children, some very young. A mystery man.

By 1861 Joseph Edward Lee had left London, and Ruth Wood had moved into 5 Plumbers Row/127 City Road and seemingly taken over the running of business. She died there 18 November 1866. By the end of the decade the business is being described as Lee's again(?) but in the 1871 census it is Ruth's daughter (from before Mr Wood came along!), the widowed Elizabeth Woodhouse, who is in residence, Pastry Cook.

Death - June 1873 Thanet 2a 448
Lee, Joseph Edward
age 73

Probate Calendar 1873
Lee Joseph Edward
Effects under £2,000 (with a handwritten note, Further Grant Nov 1898)
7 July. The Will of Joseph Edward Lee late of 16 La-Belle-Alliance-square Ramsgate
in the County of Kent Gentleman who died 11 April 1873 at 16 La-Belle-Alliance-square
was proved at the Principal Registry by William Lee of 129 City-road in the County of
Middlesex Hatter the Brother and Henry Boswell of 50 Cornmarket Oxford in the County
of Oxford Trunk Maker the Nephew the Executors.

A bit of a puzzle, who was the Jane Duncan who witnessed the 1833 marriage of Jane Duncan Lee?
It wasn't Sarah's twin sister Jane - she also married in London, in 1808 at St Luke's, to George Walter of Thames Ditton. She died in 1856 and was buried Thames Ditton, 21st June (age 76)
Ian
ianbee

Postby ksouthall » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:13 pm

ianbee wrote:That was a brilliant find Katherine, the baptism of Joseph Edward Lee in Dorking, 6 November 1801. A birth date in 1800 is given, and I don't think Joseph ever says he was born there, likely he wasn't. That baptism was just four days after the burial of Mary Duncan, Sarah's mother. So it seems that could be the reason the Lees were in Dorking at that time.

I hadn't put two and two together with these dates Ian so thanks for pointing it out and for the extra info. I am going to post what I have found out about Ruth Duncan a bit later. She and her children were interesting, if a bit tricky to research at first. The added bonus about this topic is that it relates to my extended family as well as the original poster's.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:21 pm

Here we go with the info about great-auntie (x a few) Ruth Duncan.

At some point during the 1820s, Ruth had a relationship with a John Croucher. As yet, I have no information about him, other than that his is named on the 1849 baptism (described as a bricklayer) and 1852 marriage record (described as a builder) of John and Ruth's daughter, Elizabeth Duncan Croucher.

Elizabeth Duncan Croucher was born on 7th December 1824 according to her baptism record. Elizabeth was listed as Elizabeth Wood, aged 17, in the 1841 Census when she was living in Plumbers Row in Shoreditch with her mother, Ruth Wood, fruiterer.

There was also a brother, Samuel Croucher, sometimes indexed as Emmanuel, who was born in Shoreditch around 1830, according to the 1851 Census when he is listed living with his mother and sister. Both Elizabeth and Samuel are indexed as Broncker not Croucher. I have not yet found a baptism record or any other trace of Samuel, however he was living with his aunt, Jane Duncan and her husband George Walter in Thames Ditton in 1841.

After Ruth Duncan married Jarvis Wood, they had a son together. John Jarvis Wood was born in Shoreditch in 1833 and died in 1838., according to parish records. I have not yet found details of Jarvis Wood's baptism or death/burial although I did find reference to him spending a few days in Marshalsea Debtors' Prison.

Elizabeth Duncan Croucher married Anthony Buxton Woodhouse in November 1852 in Stepney. I have not yet found details of Anthony Buxton Woodhouse's baptism or death/burial. He was an engineer and he must have worked abroad as they had the following children:

Annie Ruth Woodhouse - born in Trieste in about 1855. She married a Thomas Gibson in Shoreditch in February 1873. Annie Ruth died in Barnet district in 1920.

Thomas Woodhouse - according to several censuses, he was born in Vienna in about 1858. Others state that he was born in Trieste. He married Laura Maria Hatfield, widow of Charles Dixon, in Islington in May 1892.

Elizabeth Jane Woodhouse - born in about 1860 in Chipping Barnet. She married Lewis Taylor in January 1889 in South Mimms. They had two children: Wilfrid Dudley Taylor and Constance Muriel Taylor.
ksouthall

Postby sbewhite1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:45 am

Hi, I came across this thread by chance .

I think that I may have a solution to what happened to Ruth Duncan's son Samuel /Emmanuel and in turn you may have solved a family mystery that has been puzzling our family for many years.

My mother inlaw is a descendant of a Samuel Duncan Wood who came to Australia for the gold rush in 1852. On his death certificate it stated that his mother was Ruth Croucher and the fathers name just listed as Wood.

If Elizabeth Duncan Croucher was under the name Wood on the census then it likely to surmise that Samuel also changed his surname to Wood when Ruth married Jarvis Wood in 1833. Samuel would have been 3 at the time.

Samuel Duncan Wood married Mary Davidson in 1860 in the goldfields in New South Wales and they had 6 children Frank, George Walter, Ruth, Frederick (Fred) Edith Jane and Emily.

If Samuel was living with his Aunt Jane and Uncle George Walter that that would also explain some of the childrens names as well.

I could be clutching at straws but it is closest I have come yet to finding a solution to our Samuel.

Regards

Sue White
sbewhite1

Postby ksouthall » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Hello Sue,

This does look a strong possibility. Do you have any copies of certificates naming Ruth Croucher as his mother, rather than transcripts? I will have a check to make sure there were not other possible Ruth Crouchers aound at that time.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby sbewhite1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Katherine,

Unfortunately, there are no other certificates which have any information in regard to Ruth or any other details of Samuel's life in England.

I haven't been able to find a birth record for him either in England under Croucher or any variant there of.

All other records in Australia just state he came from London ( no borough mentioned) . We haven't even been able to find his shipping record for his arrival here in Australia. I have searched under Wood and Croucher but if he came as a steerage passenger his name would not be listed

The reason I thought he might have been the same Samuel as Ruth's son is that while he lived here in Australia he always used the full title of Samuel Duncan Wood for some strange reason which was unusual at the time.

Like I stated in my last message I could be clutching at straws. I just thought that Jarvis Wood may have paid Samuel to carry the Wood name since his only heir John Jarvis died an a small child. However I haven't been able to find a death record to Jarvis either. I have found Ruths and her probate record and money went to family still in England.

Cheers

Sue White
sbewhite1

Postby ianbee » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:06 pm

sbewhite1 wrote: I have found Ruths and her probate record and money went to family still in England.

Have you actually seen her will? Because the probate calendar names the executors, it's not in any way a synopsis of the contents.
All these names coming together, Samuel Duncan Wood, with his mother said to be Ruth Croucher looks far too coincidental to me. His age seems to be fit as well.

There doesn't seem to be any firm evidence of Jarvis Wood's whereabouts after his stay in the Marshalsea and the baptism of his son the following year. He isn't with Ruth in 1841 and she is listed in London directories as a fruiterer in Plumbers Row even in the early 1840s.
Ian
ianbee

Postby sbewhite1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Ian,

No I haven't seen the will just the probate extract on Ancestry. but I suppose this will need to be my next stop. Hopefully English probate records are like some Australian records and provide spouse, children marriages etc .

Thanks Sue White
sbewhite1

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries