Moderator Control Panel ]

Edwin Adams on the 1911 census

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Edwin Adams on the 1911 census

Postby phsvm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:24 pm

I've now returned to Edwin and having found him on the 1939 register which gives his date of birth as 7 November 1882 I am fairly confident that the Edwin on Ancestry who Alan found as having enlisted in the Royal Navy is the correct person.

I've looked at the record and I'm afraid I'm not familiar with navy forms so can anyone decipher it for me please? Am I reading it correctly in thinking that he enlisted on 6 May 1902 and joined the Duke of Wellington but was discharged on 19 September that year? There are some comments in the column about discharge but I don't know what they mean.

There is also an entry for him in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves which I've downloaded from TNA which seems to say he was engaged from 1 May 1919 until he was demobbed on 9 September that year.

Can anyone help me understand what he did between 1902 and 1919? I still haven't found him on the 1911 census and why did he not rejoin the Navy until after the war?

As always, many thanks for your help.
phsvm

Postby Sylcec » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:22 pm

I think this is your man - he was in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve:
Name: Edwin Adams
Birth Date: 7 Nov 1882
Year Range: 1919
Service Number: MC363
Division: London

TNA Ref: ADM 337/102/13

However, Ancestry don't have the full record. You will need to purchase and download it from the National Archives. Also, suggest that you read some of the Research Guides made available on TNA website which will probably help you with the abbreviations.
Sylcec

Postby phsvm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Yes, Sylvec this is my man. As I mentioned in my previous post I have this record from TNA which tells me about his time with the RNVR (mine clearance in the Baltic apparently).

My task is still to find him on the 1911 census.
phsvm

Postby ianbee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 pm

phsvm wrote:I didn't say I didn't accept Edward for Edwin.

My apologies.
The Edward Adams, Colliery Labourer, in Glamorgan in 1911 is of course just a possibility. And in any case, birthplaces given in the census are not always accurate.
Ian
ianbee

Postby phsvm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Ianbee - if you read my later post in my Archer Lodge thread you'll understand why I'm concerned about simply accepting that Edwin (Edward) is the person in Glamorgan in 1911.

I think the balance of probabilty is that it is the correct individual. It is true that there are no Edward Adams births registered for the correct period in Uxbridge and it is also true that Edwin could be mistaken for Edward, especially in an area where he wouldn't have spoken with a local accent.

I agree, places of birth can be incorrectly recorded but of all the thousands of incorrect places that could have been written it seems an extremely unlikely coincidence that Uxbrige was chosen.

I don't think I'll ever be able to confirm definitely if this is him although I do have one more role of the dice. I've got the details of his great nephew who lives locally and who I'm hoping to speak to within the next week or so. I'm hoping he may be able to shed some light on this.
phsvm

Previous

Return to General research queries