Moderator Control Panel ]

Jane Seymour's episode

Chat about the 12th series of the landmark TV programme, which features the likes of Paul Hollywood, Jerry Hall and Gareth Malone

Jane Seymour's episode

Postby Deputy Editor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:27 pm

The second episode in the new series of Who Do You Think You Are? (9pm on BBC1) features the harrowing tale of Jane Seymour's great aunts, who lived in Warsaw and Paris during the Second World War. As Jews, they were lucky to survive. Make sure you have plenty of hankies handy…

Let us know your thoughts below…

Claire
Deputy Editor

Jane Seymour's episode

Postby brunes08 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 am

It was not an episode one could 'enjoy' as it was extremely sad but very interesting. However, as some said for the episode on Paul Hollywood that there was little indication as to where all the paper evidence had been found. After all the sadness, it would have been interesting to know if the rest of the family in Switzerland had managed to survive. Just a note at the end would have sufficed.
brunes08

Re: Jane Seymour's episode

Postby phsvm » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:13 am

When I learnt that this was going to be another one involving Jewish ancestry, eastern Europe and WW2 I thought it was going to be similar to the ones we'd seen in one series when every single episode seemed to show the atrocities carried out at that time - Jerry Spinger's episode was one of them. That series to me was a low point for WDYTYA. Not that I don't think their stories were worth telling but that it did become repetitive.

Jane Seymour's episode was equally depressing in many ways and had it been with a number of others in a similar vein I would certainly have felt the series was on a downward spiral again. However, on its own it was interesting but I found it extremely annoying that there was no mention of what happened to Michaela and her family. Obviously they were in Switzerland but what happened next? There is an chance that the children and certainly any children they had are still alive but they seemed to get lost as the end of the programme was dwelling on Jadwiga's suicide.

I know a number of people thought the start of the Paul Hollywood episode was too much like a "history" programme rather than a "genealogy" programme and I did begin to wonder if the same was going to happen here. Maybe it's been a conscious effort to change the style of the programme to "refresh" it because that is certainly what seems to have happened with these first two episodes.

All that said I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
phsvm

Postby pete25 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:44 pm

I've said for a very long time WDYTYA? Should now start featuring non celebs as I'm getting bored with their stories...most of them cry on Q.
Please start using non celebs!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:59 pm

As much as I enjoyed Jane Seymour's story, I felt it was a bit of a, 'Give us a Clue' episode and I was constantly hoping that someone would tell us where all the documentation had been sourced.
For those with similar ancestry would that not have been helpful?

I would still prefer the programme to go back further in time and think that it has become a programme for the celebrity rather than the viewer.
KayFarndon

Postby Tabithabenef » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:37 pm

It wasn't a bad episode - but i would have liked the scene where she met her long lost relative in the Cemetery that is on here - i wanted to know what happened to the family in Switzerland

I will say it again The US WDYTYA is so much better & most of them I have no idea who they are

Look at this series - Anita Rani - Gareth Malone - no idea - don't think i have ever seen them in anything i believe Frank Gardner is a news reporter going on the last couple of series the ones i knew nothing about were the better shows

Don't really agree about the non celebs - i have read enough stories from non celebs who 9 out of 10 have done the - aren't i wonderful I found out all this and look how important i am because i was chosen - I wold still watch but probably be more critical
Tabithabenef

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:15 am

I am compelled to reply to the post by tabithabenef and wonder if they watch British tv at all.

Anita Rani is an accomplished tv presenter and journalist and Gareth Malone was involved with programmes on choirs, the most famous being his military wives' choir.

Whether the chosen subject was well known or not, I would still watch the programme, as there is always something to learn about genealogy. You say that the US series is better, but you don't know who the people are and that the programmes about unknowns are better, you obviously enjoy it, so does it matter who the subject is then?
KayFarndon

Postby MartinJ1952 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:13 am

Was disappointed with this episode not on the story being told, but on the way the documentation was presented. It seemed a Blue Peter "this is one I prepared earlier" approach was being used, no citing of where items came from or whether they are accessible to public.

This certainly was not one of the best episodes and we learnt nothing about Jane's direct ancestors.

Perhaps we need 10 mins at end like on some wildlife programs explaining how some of the research was carried out, rather than leaving viewers in the dark.

As for upcoming episodes, Frank Gardeners episode looks interesting with research going back to 11th C, for those who don't Frank is the BBC Security Correspondent, who was shot and subsequently paralysed whilst reporting from Iraq some years ago.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Martin
MartinJ1952

Postby coopernicola » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:38 pm

As with the first episode of the new series this was a good story but had the same frustrating lack of information about the sources used.
My WDYTYA September magazine arrived yesterday and, although I was saving it to read on my holiday next week, the banner on the cover grabbed my attention: "exclusive Jane Seymour's Story". Inside all the information about sources etc. Thank you WDYTYA hopefully we will get an article on the other subjects too.
coopernicola

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2015