Moderator Control Panel ]

Platoons mapped to Companies (WW1)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Platoons mapped to Companies (WW1)

Postby sheena.commercial@gmail.com » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:56 pm

I have been doing research on my uncle, who was in the 14th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles (Young Citizen Volunteers). He was wounded at the Somme and killed at Passchendaele.

I believe I know which Platoon he was in, as I have photos of the platoons. He was a Lance Corporal and I think I found him in Number 10 platoon. How were Platoons mapped to Companies? The war diary only refers to Companies (A, B, C and D). He was reported missing believed killed at Passchendaele, the date of his death being 16th August, the first day of Battle of Langemarck (which was a horrendous day for the 14th Battalion).

My other query is would he have returned to Ulster, to Gilford hospital, to recover from wounds received at the Battle of the Somme? I have photos of him with nurses and other convalescent soldiers, but they are taken in the grounds and there is really nothing to identify the place. Are there any records for the hospital at Gilford?
sheena.commercial@gmail.com

Re: Platoons mapped to Companies (WW1)

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:41 pm

According to the Long Long Trail website - http://www.1914-1918.net/whatbatt.htm - there were 4 companies per battalion and 4 platoons per company. It would be tempting to assume that the platoons were either 1 to 16 across the 4 companies in consecutive order or 1 to 4 in each company in turn.

I don't like assumptions!

If no one else comes up with anything better then I would suggest that you join the Great War Forum and put your question there.

I would be fairly certain that the decision on which hospital he was sent to would depend on many things such as how bad his wound was - I've never heard that regiments had specific hospitals that they used. But I could be wrong.

Hospital records are very few and far between. (You should check the Long Long Trail website for these topics first).

I presume that you've looked for his service papers? Sorry if that's a bit of an obvious question but you never know. ...

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Platoons mapped to Companies (WW1)

Postby sheena.commercial@gmail.com » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:29 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have tried to find his records in the burnt Records, no luck. Yes I have looked at The Long Long Trail website. Also the Ulster sites such as the Somme Association. They suggest that the Ulster wounded did go back to Ulster to recuperate. Like you, I don't want to make assumptions re platoons mapping to companies.

I will put the question to the Great War forum.
sheena.commercial@gmail.com

Return to Military help