Moderator Control Panel ]

Help With Photograph

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help With Photograph

Postby The Selby's » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:02 am

Can anyone help with any details of this photograph?

The date on the reverse, 30th January 1903 if that's what it is, is, we think, a red herring, as the business quoted on the reverse, A Sache, stopped trading some years before. A quick Google search shows that the business of A. Sache opened its Dalhousie office in 1881 and that the business itself stopped trading in 1895, so this would seem to place the photograph between these two dates.

The photograph is contained in a stock of family photographs, sadly with no indication of any details, and we are keen to find out what we can about it.
Attachments
33 Reverse of 32 - Copy.jpg
33 Reverse of 32 - Copy.jpg (209.61 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
32.jpg
32.jpg (584.14 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
The Selby's

Re: Help With Photograph

Postby Jethro Tull » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi The Selby's. I am not too certain tbh as I cannot see the badge on the chaps sleeve properly, but it does appear to be crossed flags, which combined with the dress, sword and boots etc could indicate a cavalry regiment. The crossed flags, I believe, could also indicate a bugler. I hope this may be of some use.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby Sylcec » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:00 am

The Saches were well known photographers in India, and you have probably already discovered information about them on the net.
As for the uniform identification the best place to post your picture is probably the Victorian Wars Forum - plenty of experts there who will argue the fine points of what they can see!
Sylcec

Postby The Selby's » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:02 am

Many thanks for your responses which we will pick up on.
The Selby's

Return to Military help