Moderator Control Panel ]

Paul Hollywood's episode

Chat about the 12th series of the landmark TV programme, which features the likes of Paul Hollywood, Jerry Hall and Gareth Malone

Re: Paul Hollywood's episode

Postby JaneyH » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:26 pm

I really enjoyed last night's episode, but felt that the research element was a bit lacking. Various experts popped up with interesting documents, but as viewers we had little sense of what these documents were, let alone where they came from. If the programme is to encourage people to investigate their own family histories then I think some sense of "researching" needs to be conveyed.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Chadwi » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:42 am

I completely agree with the point about 'how to' advice. I suspect that a huge portion of the audience is either researching their trees or being inspired to do so. I don't want to see the screen cluttered either, but in today's multi-media age, it surely isn't beyond the producers to provide accompanying online content - think of the online content that the BBC puts out alongside its live Grand Prix coverage...
Chadwi

Postby kevininlondon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi Guys
Sorry somewhat disappointed, for a wartime story, it was fascinating but Genealogy it was not, and finding a very convoluted ancestor (apart from clever research) was a curiosity but not really relevant.. I prefer mine on a more direct route, mother,mother or father,father.. but taking father, mother, father, mother !
kevininlondon

Postby pete25 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:40 pm

I did enjoy Paul Hollywood's WDYTYA? but I would of thought the program would of educated its audience in as much as 'where to find' the various records featured could be found and accessed.

I did feel a little disappointed at the lack of 'where to look and find records'. Maybe this will be addressed in later episodes...we'll see.

Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby phsvm » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:14 pm

I guess the reason they used Paul Hollywood as the first episode was to cash in on GBBO fever. Get everyone hooked on that and while interest in that has been renewed steer potential new views to WDYTYA? to increase viewing figures.

Cynical? Me? Never!
phsvm

Postby coopernicola » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:20 pm

phsvm wrote:Here's the link to request military service records from WW2 personnel. If the individual is deceased the applicant has to prove they are next of kin..

Thanks for this it will be interesting to see how we get on.
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:17 pm

I think the idea of putting the explanations up on a web-site is valuable. There is an obvious web-site for lessons resulting from the WDYTYA? show, of course, ;) - although as the magazine's site and the program are now owned by different entities, it might not be as easy as all that :?

At the risk of sounding like an old codger, I would remind people that the first series of WDYTYA? had a 5 minute explanation slot after the program, consisting of that day's expert (often Nick Barratt?) explaining to an even more lugubrious than usual Adrian Chiles, how to do it all. That section was terminated after the first series and I think we may assume that the clamour for its restoration was underwhelming. Putting the explanations on a web-site would not disrupt the television program and would help those who are interested.

And that's really my point - WDYTYA? is not an instruction manual, it's a piece of entertainment that, with varying degrees of success, also educates in Social History. I have a feeling that there have been several predecessors, all of which failed as they concentrated on genealogy. WDYTYA? worked because it hit on the Social History angle, one that is much more immediate in its impact than genealogy.

Paul H's episode was good for me - I knew that Anzio was a bad experience, but hadn't realised how bad, nor what the story was (I got echoes of Gallipoli in the situation on the ground). For me, it's 100% what family history would be about for anyone with relatives there. And then to go from that to the Highlands and that wonderful story of the post-runner was a delight. (Not sure why anyone would think this was a convoluted ancestor? He was a "direct" ancestor - 4G GF, was it?)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Tabithabenef » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:50 pm

I don't really know much about Paul Hollywood as i don't watch the bake off thingy & he has not been on Masterchef - don't think i could sit & listen to him for too long - Not like lovely Patrick Stewart - the WDYTYA program wasn't very interesting - but his voice just kept me glued to the show.

The episode wasn't bad - they could have cut the first 40 mins down by at least half. 10 mins would have been enough for me as far too recent really and seen all the clips on the documentaries over the last year - they spent about 10 mins repeating everything at least 3 times to different people. In that amount of time they could have one some more family history research on another branch - unless they were just normal people.

Loved the Scottish bit & learnt a few things about the highlands & Glasgow police - they could have done a lot more & gone further back on another line.

I think next week may be more interesting
Tabithabenef

Postby 12rachel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:05 pm

I enjoyed the first episode. I had seen mention on the WDYTYA website that there will be unseen footage posted up for this episode but I haven't been able to locate it on the website. Does this mean that there wasn't any?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
12rachel

Postby junkers » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 pm

I thought that the Second World War part was not very exciting but the Scottish part was, but it appears that "The Genealogist" put the details of the episode out a week earlier (it was dated as such), very poor on their part in my view, why spoil it?.

On the issue of researching, The National Archives and Scotland's People have information on researching certain areas and you can always ask on this board.
junkers

PreviousNext

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2015