Moderator Control Panel ]

Trying to trace French Military Record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Trying to trace French Military Record

Postby OpDragoon » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Hello everyone!

My grandfather was part of the military during WW2, I have his medals and a 'Rhin et Danube' badge but trying to find more details and really struggling.

Though french, he was born in Algeria, I have contacted Centre des Archives du Personnel Militaire (CAPM) Archives Nationales D'Outre-Mer but have had no success whatsoever.

For many reasons he is a bit of a hero of mine, so if anyone has any suggestions that would help me get his record, that would be great.

His details are;

Henri SAID was born on May 8, 1920, in Medea, Algeria, the child of Félix David. He died on December 17, 2010, at the age of 90.

Thank you,
Ioan
OpDragoon

Re: Trying to trace French Military Record

Postby brunes08 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:51 pm

If you enter 'Rhin et Danube' into your search engine, a lot of sites are listed. Most are in French but have a translate option if needed. One of the sites seems to be an association for those with the badge you mention. You might find some help amongst these sites.
brunes08

Re: Trying to trace French Military Record

Postby OpDragoon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:43 pm

I'm aware of that particular site, but all the sites it refers to have no information. There is one last one which in the past their email bounced (useful..) but I just tried it again and it worked. Might call them tomorrow too..
OpDragoon

Return to Military help