Moderator Control Panel ]

Jessie Mabel Smith, Eton, Ankerwycke, Berkshire area

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Jessie Mabel Smith, Eton, Ankerwycke, Berkshire area

Postby hannahplant » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me as I am trying to trace my granddad's family history. His name is Frederick Arthur Smith and we are particularly looking for information regarding his mother; born Jessie Mabel Hawkins in Ankerwycke Cottage, Wraysbury in 1902 and married to Albert Horace Smith. They had 4 children, Frederick, Ronald, Catherine (spelling unsure) and Alice. After the birth of Alice (7/11/1935) and death of Albert (1941) we know Jessie was in a work house, but do not have any information after that, we would love to know what happened to her and when she died, if any of you can help that would be amazing!
Thank you in advance
hannahplant

Re: Jessie Mabel Smith, Eton, Ankerwycke, Berkshire area

Postby Sylcec » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:13 am

These are the births of SMITH children registered in Windsor 1925-1937 where the mother's maiden name was HAWKINS:
Births Jun 1925 Smith Joan G Hawkins Windsor 2c 758
Births Dec 1926 Smith Kathleen M Hawkins Windsor 2c 669
Births Jun 1929 Smith Ronald A G Hawkins Windsor 2c 705
Births Sep 1931 Smith Frederick A Hawkins Windsor 2c 703
Births Dec 1935 Smith Alice M Hawkins Windsor 2c 643

Are you sure that Jessie was accommodated in a workhouse after the death of her husband? There were very few still remaining by 1940 and the system wound up in 1948. What does your grand-dad remember of his childhood - as this would help place him and his siblings and mother after the death of Albert.
Sylcec

Postby peter kent » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:03 am

How do you "know" she was in a workhouse (although they weren't called workhouses by 1941)? Do you have documentary evidence? I'm guessing this is just hearsay. What do your sources have to say about how the children were brought up? Who and where? This could be a key to your research.
peter kent

Postby brunes08 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:09 am

Just a thought. Might the 'work house' have been misunderstood. Perhaps Mabel was seriously depressed following the death of her husband and war time conditions. My mother had a cousin who spent many years in an institution as she suffered from long term depression. Some of our local workhouses went through several transformations after their closure such as an isolation hospital etc. Perhaps an old work house that they knew of was used for mental health conditions. There were also asylums that cared for individuals with depression.
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:28 am

I have found a death registered for a Jessie Mabel Smith March qu 1971 in Birmingham. I know there may be more than one Jessie but it also states her date of birth as 26 Jan 1902 which fits with what you know. This is on freebmd. The reference is 9c 406. Hope it is the right one. It might be worth obtaining.
brunes08

Postby hannahplant » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:42 am

Thank you for all your responses, we have a copy of her birth certificate that puts Jessie's birthday as 2nd November 1902 (sorry I didn't add that before I could not remember the exact date). We have seen this death record and don't think it's a match as the birthdays don't match, I'm wondering if it's possible she changed her name?

We had no idea there was a sibling called Joan, thanks to your finding I now see she died at age 1.

My grandfather is the only living child of Jessie.
We believed she was in a workhouse because that is where Alice said she was born. I have requested a copy of her birth certificate for more information but that won't be here until September.

My grandfather and his brother Ron were sent to Barnado's care home very young, after their father died Jessie put them into care and that is the last my grandad knows of her, he only found out he had a sister called Alice a few years ago when she was searching for her own history, unfortunately she died before we could ever complete the puzzle.

Kathleen also died quite young so I am told though I cannot find a death record for her.
hannahplant

Postby hannahplant » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:45 am

There is a rumour as well that Jessie was involved in some sort of stabbing, all very much hearsay, whether she stabbed 'him' or he stabbed her (don't know who the male is) but possibly something to go on?
hannahplant

Postby ianbee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:24 am

Hi
There are only three other Jessie Mabels registered Dec 1902
People sometimes add names, and drop them, but I think at least two of the others can be traced later
What about this death?
June qtr 1977, Newham vol 15 page 0225S
Farrell, Jessie Mabel
d-o-b 2 November 1902

There is actually a possible marriage in that location (obviously we know how common the name Smith is!)
March 1966, E. Ham 5b 539
Farrell, James - spouse Smith
Smith, Jessie M. - spouse Farrell

Ian
ianbee

Postby hannahplant » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:27 am

More info: Fred and Ron the two children of Jessie were put into care before their father died but he was sick with TB and Jessie had left

Alice was born in what we thought was a workhouse in Windsor but was referred to as a 'union'; Berkshire records office have no records after 1930 we have contacted them

Albert was very sick so Alice was probably not her father though it is registered as such

My grandfather was told Kathleen had died, but perhaps this was false information?
hannahplant

Postby hannahplant » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:31 am

Thank you Ian that is definitely something we will investigate, do you have any advice on how to possibly confirm or disprove this? Thank you for your fast reply!! :)
hannahplant

Next

Return to General research queries