Moderator Control Panel ]

Jessie Mabel Smith, Eton, Ankerwycke, Berkshire area

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Jessie Mabel Smith, Eton, Ankerwycke, Berkshire area

Postby hannahplant2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:31 am

Posting from a new account as I can't seem to log into my original one

Hello, thank you so much for your message I have to say it was quite a surprise to see this and I am amazed!

Since I began this post we have found out that in fact Jessie Mabel Hawkins did re-marry in 1966 in East Ham to a man named James Farrell and remained there until her death in 1977, what she did and where she was between 1935 and 1961 remains unknown.

It's fascinating that your mother believed she died of an air raid in 1940, it really seems that Jessie disappeared without telling any of her family members where she was going, my grandfather was told by his paternal grandmother that she went off to London and mixed with a 'bad crowd'.

I would love here more from you as I have built up a large family tree on Find My Past that includes the Hawkins family; inc. Ellen Beatrice as well as her and Jessie's brother Veines James Hawkins (who I have a lot of info on that may be of interest to you)
Am I correct that your mother's sister born in 1923 is Phyllis Cox?

I have been doing this research for my grandfather, who was one of Jessie's sons, he was put into care with his brother Ronald and lost contact with all family since 1935, he would be very pleased to hear that there are living relatives we did not know about!

Hope to hear from you soon
Many thanks,
Hannah
hannahplant2

Postby ianbee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:40 pm

She seems to be in East Ham by 1939
1939 register has -
16 Gladstone Avenue
Dixon Alexander W, Male, born 24 Oct 95, Married, Hotel Waiter
Dixon Jessie M, Female, born 2 Nov 97, Married, Unpaid domestic duties
Jessie Mabel written in green ink above Jessie M
and her name has been updated at some point to Farrell (block capitals in blue ink)
(and in the margin in blue ink 1. 11. 51 NR230 CAA)
ianbee

Postby hannahplant2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi Ian, thank you for your response, however I'm a bit confused, does this mean Jessie was married to this Alexander Dixon before she married James Farrell?
Also, her birthday was 2 Nov 1902, not 97, does this mean they are definitely the same Jessie and she lied about her age in the register?
As far as we understand Jessie never divorced Albert Horace Smith, he died in 1941, but we know from my grandfather's Barnardo's records that they were not living together by 1935. On the marriage certificate to James Farrell, she is listed as Jessie Mabel Smith, widow. Forgive me but I'm very confused now!
I have not been able to afford upgrading to access the 1939 register yet so haven't seen this record.

Many thanks,
Hannah
hannahplant2

Postby ajh1964 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Hannah
I have spoken to my Mum (Sylvia Thelma) - I and she will have a word with her Sister who you rightly identify as Phylis Olive. I will try and get Mum to contact you direct - either way i will get back to you once my Auntie Phyl has been contacted.
Andrew
ajh1964

Postby ianbee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi
It looks likely to me that it's your Jessie.
Her end name after all the additions reads as Jessie Mabel Farrell, born 2 November. Only the year is out. Which is not uncommon, but they usually make themselves a bit younger!
I think, via the blue ink, the change to Farrell may have been noted in 1951, but I may be wrong.

There doesn't really seem to be a marriage for Alexander Dixon to a Jessie in England and Wales. Certainly is no marriage subsequently of a Jessie Dixon to a Farrell.
Ian
ianbee

Postby hannahplant2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

Ian- thank you for your help, I agree with you, it just seems every time more information is revealed about her it raises more questions!

Andrew- that would be great thank you so much, your mother and aunt are first cousins of my grandfather, he'll honestly be amazed to know he has living relatives.

Look forward to hearing from you soon,
Hannah
hannahplant2

Postby ianbee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Location is good.
As you can see from the 1962 Ordnance Survey map, Browning Road is at the end of Gladstone Avenue. Although it looks quite a long walk to number 26!
You can zoom in and out, scroll around
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19 ... rs=173&b=1
ianbee

Postby hannahplant2 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks Ian, I have upgraded my account to access the 1939 register. I noticed that next to the entry for Alexander W Dixon it says 'see 208/1 13/5/41' do you happen to have any idea what this might mean?
hannahplant2

Postby ianbee » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:57 pm

I can't really help you with that, I'm afraid.
13/5/41 looks like a date. See 208/1 is possibly a reference to some kind of other sheet that we can't see! Something was later recorded about Alexander somewhere else?
Maybe someone else will know more, but we don't really understand all of these annotations.
NR230 does seem to be a code used for change of name. CAA is the code for East Ham. National Identity cards were not scrapped until early 1952, so it seems that Jessie's had the name Farrell on it for the final few months.
Ian
ianbee

Postby hannahplant2 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:07 pm

Thank you anyway, I've been googling to try and figure it out but not found anything.
It seems Jessie didn't mind telling some lies, as she was never married to Dixon and was definitely born in 1902, and she didn't marry James Farrell until 1966 yet appears to have been using his name since at least 1951. Seems like whatever she was up to she didn't want to be found!
Thank you again for all your help.
hannahplant2

Previous

Return to General research queries