Moderator Control Panel ]

Jessie Mabel Smith, Eton, Ankerwycke, Berkshire area

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Jessie Mabel Smith, Eton, Ankerwycke, Berkshire area

Postby hannahplant » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi I am still struggling to request this certificate? This is what I've got
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1439158509.468882.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1439158509.468882.jpg (49.5 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
it's adamant about the date, am i doing something wrong?
hannahplant

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:37 pm

I assume that you are trying to order a certificate for which you do not know the reference. When I try that it says this for the date: "(If you do not know the exact date enter 01/01/1966, we will search the specified year and one either side)" (or whatever year you have specified).

If on the other hand, you know the quarter and the reference, then you chose the wrong option. The important bit is the question "Is the GRO Index Reference Number known?"

If you answer Yes to that, you will need to supply
Year
Quarter*
District name*
Volume Number*
Page Number*

If you answer No to that, you get to the screen that you "shot" for us.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby hannahplant » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Thank you!
hannahplant

Postby hannahplant » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:58 am

Hi, just wanted to post an update that we got the marriage certificate and can confirm that Jessie Mabel Smith did marry James Farrell in 1966, thank you for all your help, particularly Ian, my granddad can now finally know what happened to his mother, though what she was doing in the 30 years in between her leaving and this marriage remains a mystery.
Thank you again for your help
hannahplant

Postby richaldis » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi Hannah,

Just to let you know that Old Windsor Union (the workhouse closest to Wraysbury) became a cottage hospital. I was born there so it's possible your ancestor wasn't born in the workhouse at all. It's now quite nice flats.
richaldis

Postby hannahplant » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi, thank you for letting me know, Alice was born there in 1935, do you know what it would've been then? Thanks
hannahplant

Postby richaldis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:05 am

Sorry, I don't. But there is a really good workhouses site on the net and if it isn't on the Windsor page then the person who runs it should be able to tell you.
Be aware too that there was also a pub called the Union in Old Windsor.
richaldis

Postby hannahplant » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:18 am

Thank you, I think my dad is aware of that website and has contacted them already, and unfortunately they have no records for the years we're looking at! I did see that there were homes there specifically for girls and boys, so it's possible she was there. Hopefully Alice's birth certificate will give us more info
hannahplant

Postby hannahplant » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 am

Hello all, thought I'd keep this question on the same thread as it's the same family

My granddad's sister was named Kathleen M Smith and was born Dec 1926 in Windsor (mother Jessie Mabel Hawkins, father Albert Horace Smith)

My granddad was always told she had died young, and thought her to be around 16 at age of death
I found a death record for a Kathleen Mary Smith that died in Reading, Berkshire in Jan 1940 making her only 13 when she died

I requested a copy of this death certificate, though, and the GRO have come back and said that this is not the same Kathleen, yet I couldn't find any other possible death record

So basically what I'm asking is- can anyone find me a death record for a Kathleen M Smith that was born in 1926?

Many thanks
hannahplant

Postby ajh1964 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:37 am

Hi I have just seen this post whilst researching my Grandmother's siblings - the siblings of Jessie Mabel Hawkins - Birth ref : - Q4 1902 - Eton, Buckinghamshire - vol 3a - page 826. I believe her sister Ellen Beatrice is my Grandmother who died 1980. For info. my Mother believed she was killed in an air raid in 1940 which seems to fit with the death of her husband. My Mother's sister was born in 1923 and is still alive and may know about this - I will ask her and post a reply.
ajh1964

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries