Moderator Control Panel ]

Changing geographic names

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Changing geographic names

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:25 am

I note that Family Search have just released a collection "Zimbabwe, Death notices, 1904-1976". https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1838530.

I was slightly amused to see indexes for 1966 referring to "Salisbury, Zimbabwe".

Changing "Rhodesia" to "Zimbabwe" is probably only to be expected (sadly). But surely in that case "Salisbury" should be changed to "Harare"?? Either change both or change none, I suggest.

To be absolutely clear about my comments - it's only accuracy and consistency that I ask for. Events and indexes should be entered either with the contemporary names or current names - there are arguments for either. There are no sensible arguments for a mix.

(Incidentally, you could make a case for saying that the answer to contemporary / current for indexes need not be the same as the answer for the events that get logged into your database. Though I'm not sure it's a very good case).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat