Moderator Control Panel ]

Magazine back issues

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

Magazine back issues

Postby Gene-al » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:41 am

I have back issues of the following:

* Family Tree 1994-2009
* Your Family Tree 2010-2014
* The Genealogist 1983-1995

These are free to be collected from Herts (AL5). Or can be posted singly at cost. Cannot guarantee that they are complete years so if there's a particular issue you want, just ask and I will check.

They are a fascinating record of how such magazines developed from simple mono print, advent of computer aided research ... Just wish I had more time to read them myself. Pure history in methods of FH research but in reality, little has changed - except it's the 1901 Census!

These were passed on on to me by an avid FH researcher who is stricken with Alzheimer's and am just trying to find them a good home rather going to pulp or landfill!

There is also a free fiche reader to be collected only and many fiches (uncatalogued) but obviously Manchester/Midlands/Hereford areas where her ancestors' lived. These I cannot offer to check as there are too many and a time constraint
Gene-al

Re: Magazine back issues

Postby ksouthall » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 am

Hello Alan,

Have you considered donating them to a local family history centre for visitors to access there? There is the Dacorum Heritage Centre in Berkhamsted. There may be others closer to you that might be interested.

Alternatively, a local history group might be interested if no one takes you up on the offer. I could email the Kimpton History Group if that's any help. I would be happy to collect from you if they were interested.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Gene-al » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi Katherine

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I have tried various places to find a good home and this post was a desperate last throw! Realistically, they are of historic curiosity interest to experienced people but little use for current researchers; life has moved on apace in research terms. So if you can help find them a suitable home, I will be grateful.
As you are local, you might be interested in Herts People FH journals for 1987-1995?
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Gene-al

Postby ksouthall » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Hello Alan,

The Herts People issues would be interesting please. I will also email Kimpton History Group to see if they would be interested in your other magazine back issues and get back to you.

Thanks,

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Gene-al » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi Katherine

The Herts People journals are yours to be collected anytime.

I also have, to you or anyone else, the following FHS journals:

> • Manchester Genealogist 1989 - 2014
> • The Midland Ancestor 1985 – 2009
> • Genealogists Magazine 1983 – 1995
> • Leicester and Rutland Family History 1997 – 2013

Plus a lot of unsorted fiches for the same areas. But whoever wants them will have to take the lot to sort out - I do not have the time to sort when maybe, no-one wants any of them! Fiche reader included!

Unless anyone can suggest another home? The fiches could be posted, at cost.

All to be collected on first come, first served basis.

Alan
Gene-al

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Hello Alan,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have sent you a pm.

Regards,

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Gene-al » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Hello Katherine
Do you still plan to come to Herts on Sunday?
I think I gave you my address in Harpenden; here is my mobile (017794979259) so can you please text me with an ETA when on the road. Late morning would be preferable as I have family visiting in the afternoon but whatever you can manage is OK.
If you need help with directions just ask! Or maybe you know the area?Regards
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Gene-al

Return to Useful resources