Moderator Control Panel ]

Printing problem

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

Printing problem

Postby Cnthree3 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi can anyone give me some help about the best way to print my tree. I am a subscriber of ansestory and have family tree maker but I struggle to get a decent print of the tree. I love the way ansestory shows it on the screen but not the way they print. I'm happy to pay a few pounds for something that is good. What I want is to print different trees out for my cousins for Christmas presents.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Cnthree3

Re: Printing problem

Postby woodchal » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:54 pm

You can do it from FTM.

Choose publish, choose the "collection" you want. Once you have the chart you want there are many things you can change to get the look that you want.

Then you can export to PDF. Choose share then choose export to one page PDF. This can then be taken to a print shop to print on large paper (e.g. A0)

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
woodchal

Printing problem

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:58 am

Family Historian 6, in my humble opinion has the edge on FTM when it come to charting. The problem with FTM is that you cannot save customised tree designs! I spent hours re-arranging a tree, so that four generations could fit on one sheet of A4 paper. The end result printed ok and could be saved as a pdf, so I also saved it as a customised design. However, when I went to use my customised design for a different person, the tree had reverted to the standard FTM layout, and all my hard work was wasted.

FH6 has similar functions to FTM, but has far superior charting capabilities. It also has a brilliant User Group (http://www.fhug.co.uk), which is free to join, where help is readily available.

NB I moved from FTM when Ancestry dropped support, and now use FH6, and am pleased to say I haven't regretted the move at all.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Return to Useful resources