Moderator Control Panel ]

Joseph Edward Higgins

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Joseph Edward Higgins

Postby kirstylhall » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:12 pm

I am trying to find out if my Great Grandfather Joseph Edward Higgins fought in WWI or if he didn't why. He was born 12 Apr 1893 in 99 Tat Bank Road, Oldbury, Worcestershire, England and was a Blacksmith. I have found the following possibilities but none of them have addresses

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 about Joseph E Higgins

Name: Joseph E Higgins
Regiment or Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery, Royal Engineers
Regimental Number: 297368, 245632

Regiment or Corps: Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Regimental Number: 52227

Regiment or Corps: Army Service Corps
Regimental Number: M2/019546

Name: Joseph E A Higgins
Regiment or Corps: Gloucestershire Regiment, Machine Gun Corps
Regimental Number: 2216, 23941

I do know that he was a blacksmith. He and his wife Ethel Edith Wood married in 1915 at Christ Church, Oldbury, Worcestershire, England and they had two children during the war Ethel Edith Higgins in January 1916 and Joseph Edward Higgins in August 1918.

Where can I go from here?
kirstylhall

Re: Joseph Edward Higgins

Postby Jethro Tull » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi, sadly with no other supportive info you may not be able to find anything out at all. A lot of the ww1 service records were destroyed in ww1 and the medal cards will not give an awful lot of info. You may get lucky and find some records in the pension records or some of the regimental museums or regimental diaries but you would need to know which one he served with, if any, for that. I am also in a similar situation to you, I have relatives that I know served but cannot find out anything about where and when and can only make guesses. You may get lucky by finding an old photo in your research that may have a badge or patch that can be identified, if not it may be you will never prove anything
Jethro.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby Gwil » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:57 pm

To help with elimination.
The actual Medal Rolls are now available on Ancetsry and they invariably (but not always) give the full name.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5119

Having said that only one Joseph Edward Higgins is shown and he was the RWF one (52227). He though was KIA in December 1917 and lived in Oldham, born India.

M2/019546 has a middle name of Eccles

23941 was Edwin Albert

So that's those three eliminated?

245632 is showing as Joseph E Higgins and I can't at the moment see a way to get his middle name.

Your Great Grandfather though may have enlisted as straight Joseph Higgins and you know that there are quite a few of those.

Have a look at these Absent Voters list for the county. I'm not sure if the area you want is covered
http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/downlo ... ters_index

If that doesn't work then have you the birth certificates for the children? They might have his status.

Failing all that probably best bet for a steer as to whether he served or not is to look up local newspapers for any reports.
Gwil

Postby peter kent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:37 am

From the marriage and birth certificates, what was his occupation at the time of his marriage and the birth of the two children?
peter kent

Postby peter kent » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:49 am

peter kent wrote:From the marriage and birth certificates, what was his occupation at the time of his marriage and the birth of the two children?

It doesn't look as if we're getting a reply so in case the questioner does return I'll just point out that these are fundamental documents which will state his occupation in 1915, 1916 and 1918 and are the first things to look at in order to answer your question.
peter kent

Postby kirstylhall » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:48 am

I can't find my copies of the documents but my notes in my log book say he was a Labourer in Iron Works
kirstylhall

Postby peter kent » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:39 am

If that's the case he may have been in a reserved occupation and exempt from being called up.

For the example the list I've got to hand says "all classes of workers" in pig iron manufacture, iron & steel rolling mills etc
peter kent

Return to Military help