Moderator Control Panel ]

Albert Medal and New Zealand War Service Medal

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Albert Medal and New Zealand War Service Medal

Postby lindyb1954 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:45 pm

I wonder if anyone can help me - I have had a photograph looked at and was told that the recipient a member of the British Army, regiment unknown had been awarded the following medals identified by the ribbons on his uniform:

The 1939-45 Star
The Africa Star
Albert Medal Second Class (Land)
New Zealand War Service Medal

I can under stand the award of the first two medals and have looked into the award of the Albert medal which was awarded for saving life on land as apposed to the one that was awarded for saving a life at sea but cannot find any information of this medal being awarded to my uncle. The New Zealand medal as far as I have found was only awarded to soldiers from New Zealand, my uncle was from Wandsworth, London.

I have very little knowledge of medals but have looked on line to see what I can find but must admit I am a bit confused.
lindyb1954

Re: Albert Medal and New Zealand War Service Medal

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi,
Do you have any names or pics at all? The Albert medal recipients would have been fairly well documented as not many were issued, and depending on time of issue it may only have been awarded for 2nd class posthumously. As for the New Zealand medal, this was issued to members of the New Zealand forces with the same criteria as the war medal 1930-45.
Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby lindyb1954 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Thank you for your reply. As my uncle was English and was awarded the 1939-45 star I was surprised that he would also have the NZ one as well,obviously a mistake on the identification of the medal ribbon.

The photo I have relates to one of three brothers but I do not know which one so could be either John Henry Daniels, William George Daniels or Charles Frederick Daniels. I have looked for citations for the Albert Medal but not found anything but really do appreciate your help.
lindyb1954

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:27 pm

The stars were issued to all British empire troops as far as I am aware so he could quite easily have had the stars and the New Zealand medal too. If you do want to post or send a pic though I'll have a quick look at the uniform etc to see if I can find any more info.

Jethro Tull

Postby lindyb1954 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Unnamed Daniels.png
Unnamed Daniels.png (830.5 KiB) Viewed 2496 times

Thank you again for the help.
lindyb1954

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Hopefully i can help! Research beats Friday night TV anyway! Have I already posted a comment elsewhere for this pic? I think from memory I may have. Pretty certain its the 1939-45 star, Africa star, Italy star and possibly the army long service good conduct medal. I don't think it's a New Zealand medal medal tbh, although it could be. I'm afraid, from this pic anyway, I can't make out any more details from the uniform.

Jethro Tull

Postby lindyb1954 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi Yes I did post this photo and a couple of others before but because there were three brothers all serving in WW2 and I am trying to match the photos to the brothers and trying to work out if possible the regiments. One of the suggestions was to send the photos to the Forces War Records, which I did and there expert gave me the details I posted here so hence the confusion.
lindyb1954

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:08 am

I thought I had seen it before! I'm sure the guys over at forces records know their stuff. It is very difficult to work out the medals from black and white pics, and I am no expert. If you do find any more pics though I'll happily have a look at them.

Jethro Tull

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:01 am

I've just had a thought about the last ribbon on the bar for your chap. It could be he was a territorial, thw ribbon could be for the Territorial Efficiency Medal or the Efficiency Medal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby lindyb1954 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi Jethro

You are extremely kind in all the help you have given me, I will see what I can find out in relation to your last message.

Your help is truly appreciated.

Linda
lindyb1954

Return to Military help