Moderator Control Panel ]

Transcription Errors

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Transcription Errors

Postby junkers » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:28 pm

With regard to the 1891 censuses allegedly transcribed by The National Archives (TNA) what ancestry has said is untrue as TNA have never done the transcribing of any census, with the exception of the checking of the 1901 census where corrections were made to incorrect entries. It is not TNA policy to do the transcriptions but to offer the images to private companies to do the transcriptions.
junkers

Re: Transcription Errors

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:15 am

Just to keep it balanced, I thought I'd comment on my latest doozy, involving Findmypast.

I spotted a missed entry from the GRO marriage transcription. ( Maria Milliner, Married 1869Q3, Maidstone 2a 874). I promptly reported it to Findmypast, who, credit due, immediately responded with a request for URL of image involved, which I supplied.

Again, within minutes, I was told it had been corrected, and a link was supplied to view it.

When I viewed the correction it read "Maria Milliner, 1869 Q3, 'Godstone' 2a 874" - I couldn't believe my own eyes.

How can one mistranscribe Maidstone with Godstone from a typed page. I could partly understand it if text were handwritten, but a typed page, the mind boggles,

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat