Moderator Control Panel ]

Help find William Thompsons WW! records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help find William Thompsons WW! records

Postby juneh » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:17 pm

My step grandfather enlisted in St. Matthias Nottingham on 4 September 1914 at the same time as my grandfather Arthur Allsopp who was his half brother. Arthur served in the Leicestershire Regiment until he was killed in action in France on 24 February 1916. I understand that they landed in France after training as William and my father on a day trip to Boulogne many years later walked up a hill and looked back at the harbour where William recalled marching up the same hill and looking at all the activity view with Arthur when he asked him to take care of his wife and children if he didn't survive.
William survived the war and in 1930 married my grandmother Mabel.However I cannot find any records of William Thompson's service.I don't know if he was injured or when he came home to Nottingham as 1911 was the last Census. Where can I find electoral registers for Sneinton and Carlton Nottingham?
It appears that William Thompson was a very common name and I have searched for any medals he may have been awarded without success.
I have visited Arthur's grave in France and have his records and medals
juneh

Re: Help find William Thompsons WW! records

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:59 pm

It is an unfortunate fact that many of the service records from the 1WW have not survived. Some were lost during the 2WW so there is a possibility that the ones you want will not be found.

You could try the appropriate regiment to see if they have any archived material. Last year I visited a regimental museum to see if it would shed any more light on my grandfather's service and it did. It was extremely interesting and enlightening. Fortunately, I do have his service papers. The other thing I found was a copy of the war diaries for his regiment, again extremely interesting but also incredibly moving as I read of the horrors he must have faced. The National Archives holds the originals of many of the war diaries and has begun the process of having them indexed. You might find something there that helps you.
brunes08

Return to Military help