Moderator Control Panel ]

adoption in the 1930's

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: adoption in the 1930's

Postby AntonyM » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:32 am

Peter is correct - birth certificates of adopted children are available like any other, but they will be noted as adopted by the superintendent registrar, and no connection to the adoptive name is shown.
AntonyM

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Thank you, Antony
Adrian
AdrianB38

adoption in the 1930's

Postby brunes08 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:03 pm

It may just be me but I am a little confused here. Initially, you say that the baby was adopted. On a later post you say the baby was adopted and brought up by the grandmother so remained in the family unit. Therefore, I am not sure what it is you are seeking as you also say that you were able to find the birth.
It may be that the baby was not formally adopted. Often babies were brought up by their grandparents if the daughter was unmarried and to cover the shame or stigma let it be thought that they were the actual parents having had a 'late' baby. It was sometimes the case that a child thought that its birth mother was its 'sister'. You also say that it seems the baby was born in a different part of the country. Again, to cover up the situation, young girls were often sent to mother and baby homes elsewhere or to relatives until after the birth again to cover it up.
brunes08

Postby peter kent » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 am

It may just be me but I am a little confused here

The original poster has only posted one message in this thread. The reference to a grandmother was made by someone else in relation to a completely different case.
peter kent

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:44 am

My apologies for my last post. With so many responses, I had lost sight of the original and mixed the responses.
brunes08

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:11 am

Sorry to confuse you Guys, I was online when the original post was logged and jumped straight in with my Salvation Army post. After reading some of your replies I thought I had better clarify the "adoption" situation in my Family.
I still think this may me an avenue for the original poster to pursue. If the baby was born in a Salvation Army maternity home then I think it is likely that the SA will confirm which home the Mother passed through. This would narrow down the possibilities in the certificate search as I am sure the baby would have be registered in the area in which it was born.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby peter kent » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:52 am

Some further clarification...someone used the phrase "private adoption register".

It's true that the adoption register is not open for browsing but that applies also to the standard birth register (except in some obscure circumstances).

However the indexes to the adoption registers (the equivalent of the GRO indexes to the BMD registers that we are all familiar with) are available for public scrutiny. I've never needed to look at them and can't tell you anything about the format.

The indexes are available at any of the standard repositories authorised to hold full copies of the GRO indexes listed in the GRO pages on the gov.uk site (my nearest place for example) is Westminster Archives. They are not available online.
peter kent

Postby pathastings » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 am

hi all, many thanks for your support, I have tried a number of your suggestions but as yet have no results. I will keep trying as the sibling will now be in their 80's. I have been told that the GRO has an adoption index form 1927 so this is my next area of research.
pathastings

Previous

Return to General research queries