Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding out why grandfather thrown out of Royal Highlanders

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby lindadrabble » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:51 pm

My Grandfather Patrick Gibbons, born in Castlebar Mayo in 1883, enlisted in the Royal Highlanders in 1902 aged 18.

He was discharged from the Royal Highlanders in 1903, after 18 months, for being ‘incorrigible and worthless’.

This information was provided by his Short Service Record.

What I want to know is what he had done for this to happen and is there anyway I can find out more details.

He did go on to redeem himself in WW 2 by serving in the merchant navy and winning a medal for bravery.
lindadrabble

Postby brunes08 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Is there any indication of where he had been based during his service or what experiences he may have had? This could possibly highlight an issue. He clearly doesn't seem to have been suitable and his behaviour deemed unacceptable. Perhaps he just wasn't prepared for service life. The terms used were often euphemisms to cover up the real reason. On the other hand, he may just have been as described.
For what it is worth, some of the Royal Highlander regiments served in the Boer War. There are quite a lot of sites on the internet that might help you.
brunes08

Re: Finding out why grandfather thrown out of Royal Highland

Postby junkers » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Try looking for an official history of the regiment as it might throw some light. Does the short service record mention a courts martial, if so the records may be at The National Archives in Kew.
junkers

Postby lindadrabble » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:11 pm

brunes08 wrote:Is there any indication of where he had been based during his service or what experiences he may have had? This could possibly highlight an issue. He clearly doesn't seem to have been suitable and his behaviour deemed unacceptable. Perhaps he just wasn't prepared for service life. The terms used were often euphemisms to cover up the real reason. On the other hand, he may just have been as described.
For what it is worth, some of the Royal Highlander regiments served in the Boer War. There are quite a lot of sites on the internet that might help you.

Thanks for your reply.

There is actually very little information on the Short Service Record. He joined up in Edinburgh ,was posted twice but served at home. I also wondered if the terms were euphemisms for a certain type of bad behaviour but what type of behaviour is the question.
Hopefully I may get some answers by searching on the internet as you suggest.
lindadrabble

Postby lindadrabble » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:14 pm

junkers wrote:Try looking for an official history of the regiment as it might throw some light. Does the short service record mention a courts martial, if so the records may be at The National Archives in Kew.

Thanks for your reply.

There is no indication on his Short Service Record that he underwent a court martial.
I will certainly follow your tip and try and find an official history of the regiment.
lindadrabble

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:41 pm

I don't think that the terms are euphemisms - I think that they're fairly standard terms for someone who is low level useless, dishonest, objectionable, etc etc etc. I think my great grandad's brother got slung out of the Artillery with similar, perhaps even identical, phrasing.

I don't think there could have been a major incident, of court martial level as my impression is that such an event would have been recorded in his papers. I can only suggest that you try to look through other papers of people in the same regiment to see what level of crime and misdemeanour IS recorded in the papers for his regiment.

The other possibility is to see whether the regimental museum has papers relating to disciplinary offences - charge sheets, disciplinary reports, etc etc. These will presumably be filed by date not soldier. You might get a feeling for what goes on even if you don't find him.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help