Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding buyer of medals at auction

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Finding buyer of medals at auction

Postby jeanp » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:32 am

Can anyone tell me how I might go about finding (and contacting if possible) who purchased medals at an auction? I saw online, details of two medals (awarded to a father and son in my family who were both in the navy) that were sold at an auction in Dec 2000. I contacted the auction house, but they told me that their records only go back 7 years. I think it's probable that the person who bought them is related to the men to whom the medals were awarded, and also therefore, to me, so I'd be interested in contacting them if possible.
jeanp

Re: Finding buyer of medals at auction

Postby AntonyM » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:36 am

If the auction house have no records of the sale then you are going to struggle. You could look at medal collectors forums/websites and post on those , or naval history sites. Post details on as many places as possible, including this site, and hope someone comes across the info.

What makes you think they are related ? Plenty of people collect medals for all sorts of reasons. If a dealer bought them they could have been bought and sold many times since 2000.
AntonyM

Postby jeanp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for your reply. I don't know of course if the buyers were related but the medals were not simply war service medals - one was issued for bravery. I'll think about putting more details about the medals if that might be helpful.
jeanp

Postby phsvm » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:54 pm

A long shot but you could try Lostmedals.co.uk

People on there list medals they have, medals they want to reunite with relatives and medals they're looking for.
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Another couple of thoughts. What date are these medals from? Is the one for bravery a rare one?

If they're WW1 medals try

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php

If the bravery one is a very rare on then you need to think who might want it - and it won't be just family. A well known collector of medals (he has a large number of VCs and similar) is Lord McAlpine. Much of his collection is on loan to the Imperial War Museum. If you're talking of a medal of this calibre it may be worth contacting the IWM.

Alternatively, a naval museum connected to the men's naval service may be another place they could be - someone may have bought them to donate or loan to a museum.
phsvm

Postby jeanp » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks for the further replies. I'll give those sites a go.
JP
jeanp

Postby phsvm » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Sorry - I said it was Lord McAlpine who was the big collector. It's actually Lord Ashcroft.
phsvm

Return to Military help