Moderator Control Panel ]

Which one is my 3 x great grandads death?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Which one is my 3 x great grandads death?

Postby vito74 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:09 pm

My 3 x great grandad was born in Ireland around 1820. He moved with his family to Leicester sometime round 1850. Now I am trying to figure out which of these deaths maybe him. I looked on free bdm and there are two deaths that could be him. One is 1893 and says he was 73 when he died in September. The other one was 1902 and had him aged 77 in December. It could be any of them or neither.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Re: Which one is my 3 x great grandads death?

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Have you found him on the census returns? If, for example, you can find him on the 1901 census, you can disregard the earlier death. Do you have any of his children's marriage certificates as these would possibly say'deceased' if he had died which would give you a clue. Similarly, his wife's death certificate - if this says she was a widow then that again can narrow things down.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:41 pm

... and in addition to what's on the above, what about the content of the two death certificates? It may be that the informant makes it clear which is yours. (It could, of course, be neither?)

Or the occupations may help - if one is a High Court Judge and the other a labourer, it should be possible to tell them apart. Again, things might not be clear-cut as an agricultural labourer to someone might be a small-holder to someone else.

If you can link the two deaths to two burials, then the other occupants of the grave may help - but again, if it's a "public" grave, e.g. one owned by the council rather than your family, then this may not help.

So - no guarantees, but you need to find out as much as possible about the two people.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Are you referring to John Grimes, born County Mayo, Ireland, the Mat Maker? Who might be the father of John Grimes who married Lilly/Elizabeth Devall(e) in Nottingham?
He is still alive in 1901, aged 80, and in Leicester, so that would seem to eliminate the 1893 death straight away. Appears to be in the workhouse.
ianbee

Postby vito74 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:37 pm

The 1902 death is my John Grimes. The informant was a M Grimes and said son. Martin address was on there and matched the 1911 census. He was 77 so that makes his date of birth as 1825. Martin is my 3rd great uncle.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Return to General research queries