Moderator Control Panel ]

Service records/History

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Service records/History

Postby Tabithabenef » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:09 pm

I am having great problems finding service records in general - no matter which website
I am obviously doing something wrong I know the full names & dates of birth are correct

The people I am looking for were in the Army - I have photos to prove it and people who
remembered them (all be it a long while ago) i put the names in & dates of birth
and nothing shows what so ever.

I also have one or 2 in the merchant navy and nothing on them either

I know one of them was in the Territorial’s at the start of world war 2 - would that make a big difference?

Out of the others 1 was military first world war - the 2 merchant seamen were 1st & 2nd world war one was Royal Navy 2nd world war and one was ATS
thats Grandfathers,Parents and uncles

I have checked on FMP & Ancestry and nothing shows no matter which section i click on
Its as if none of them existed

What am I doing wrong

All help appreciated - asking on 2 different sites now
Tabithabenef

Re: Service records/History

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Very quickly as I don't have details to hand (and I'm at work).

Service records - for any service - of people who served after 1920 are held by the Ministry of Defence and are not on family history sites. You can apply for copies if you are related / descended from these people. There's a charge, from memory about £30. I don't have the website to hand but you can either google it or someone more organised than me can fill in the details.

As for records for those who served in WW1, these ARE available at the National Archives and on Ancestry, but only around 10% survive. The rest were destroyed in a bombing raid during WW2.

WW1 army pension records are held by the Western Front Association. They can search and send copies for £25. Be aware that with all the interest in WW1 centenarians they are snowed under and it can take a few months to get them.

Hope this helps, Janey

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby researchgranny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:42 pm

The WW1 records are also available on FMP. For anyone who served in both wars, their records would have been merged and so remain unavailable.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
researchgranny

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Regarding applying for the records from the Army. Only next of kin will be given the full service records and personal history. Descendants can apply for the basic service rcord. In all cases the death certificate for the person concerned will need to be attached to the application. If the person concerned is still alive then they are the only ones who may apply for their records.
meekhcs

Postby Tabithabenef » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Thank you all very much

I really appreciate the help

I thought it was too good to be true that you could view the records online

At least I know I haven't been doing the wrong thing

Much appreciated
Tabithabenef

Return to Military help