Moderator Control Panel ]

Last-ditch attempt to find Florence Maud Marjorie Brooks

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Last-ditch attempt to find Florence Maud Marjorie Brooks

Postby JaneyH » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks for pointing out the difference between a report of a funeral and an obituary - makes a lot of sense!

Separately, I'm hoping that the marriage certificate for Florence Brooks and Mr Hamilton will arrive in the next few days. If correct, this could help me link her to the newspaper reports in Cardiff that ianbee uncovered.
JaneyH

Postby JaneyH » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:36 pm

I've now received the marriage certificate for Florence Brooks and John Ralph Hamilton, which ianbee flagged a couple of weeks back now. The handwriting is difficult to disentangle, but here's what I think it says.

Brooks-Hamilton marriage certificate 1916.jpg
Brooks-Hamilton marriage certificate 1916.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1019 times

Marriage solemnized at The Register Office in the District of Devonport in the County of Plymouth. 23rd February 1916.

John Ralph Hamilton, 26 years, batchelor, occupation Steward [?] Service, residence 12 Duke Street, Devonport, father John Ralph Hamilton (deceased), Merchant Seaman.

Florence Maud Brooks, 19 years, spinster, no occupation given, residence 12 Duke Street, Devonport, no father's details provided.

Married by licence, both sign, witnesses not particularly relevant since this is not a direct ancestor of mine, signed by both Registrar and Superintendent Registrar.

I think it's the end of the road in terms of finding out where Florence came from. The age of 19 at marriage in 1916 implies year of birth c.1897, whereas the age of 35 at death in 1930 implies c.1895. Close enough to be the same person, but even within the same time-frame there are a few people called Florence Maud Brooks born. The one in Tavistock, Devon is perhaps more likely than the London ones, but who knows? I've still got nowhere finding a birth for John Ralph Hamilton, but I will look at the newspaper reports from Cardiff again.

Thanks once again to ianbee - he's helped me make a lot of progress with this one!
JaneyH

Postby MoVidger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi Janey - I'm probably way off base on this one, but could the groom's occupation be "Steward Devonport Services" ?? A stone's throw from their 12 Duke Street residence is Devonport Services RFC. Apparently, this rugby club has been in existence since the early 1900s. Just a thought...
MoVidger

Postby JaneyH » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi MoVidger,

I did wonder if the groom's occupation read "Steward Devonport Services" - the middle word looks quite similar to other appearances of "Devonport" on the certificate. The three words made no obvious sense together, hence no joining the dots. The location of a rugby club just down the road helps things fall into place though!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:08 am

Janey, I think you are right that the Florence Maud Brooks registered Tavistock June 1896 is the most likely candidate.
In 1901 she seems to be Florence M Brooks, 4, born Thrushelton, a visitor in the Pearce household.

One of those marriage witnesses was Elizabeth Gillett, who might possibly be related to Florence.
Marriage, Dec 1901 Devoport 5b 733
Brooks, Elizabeth
Gillett, Henry
(also Brooks, Mabel Mary and Metters, George)
In the 1911 census, in Lewtrenchard, there is an Elizabeth Gillett, 32, born Thruselton, married to Henry.

John Ralph Hamilton is still a mystery, but with the only references to such a person now being your marriage certificate and the Cardiff court case, it does at least look as though it ought to be the same man.
Ian
ianbee

Previous

Return to General research queries