Moderator Control Panel ]

George Best (?-before 1879), 4th Hussars

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

George Best (?-before 1879), 4th Hussars

Postby T L Compton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:43 pm

On 4 November 1879 Jane Best marries Thomas Muirhead, a private in the 4th Dragoon Guards, at St. George's Catholic Church in York. On her marriage certificate her father is listed as
George Best, deceased, Sergeant 4th Hussars. I cannot find her or her father on the 1871 census.

Jane's later census records show her born about 1861 in Newbridge, Ireland. I am trying to find out more information on George Best.

I found on the 1861 Worldwide Army Index a George Best, Service #637, Trooper 14th Light Dragoons (later called Hussars) stationed in Newbridge (nr Dublin). This same George Best served earlier in India where he was "slightly wounded " at Betwa in 1858. Could he have transferred or could she have gotten the regiment number incorrect?

One of the witnesses on the marriage certificate is an Elizabeth Jayes (b. about 1860 Ireland), whom I found on the 1881 census in Aldershot with her husband Thomas Jayes who is in the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards. Thomas Muirhead is also stationed here in 1881. Is there a connection here between Elizabeth and Jane?
T L Compton

Return to Military help