Moderator Control Panel ]

Lack of navy advise

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Lack of navy advise

Postby philarys » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:20 am

We find that there is a lack of navy experts, even at the Who do you think you know shows we have been too , they have people too help with army records we spoke to a really helpful one at the London show, and also the one in Scotland. But they say nobody comes from the royal navy. We have so many royal navy people in my husbands family, it would be great to talk to someone . Someone hopefully on your forum must be ex navy, that could point us in the right direction. Hilary and Phil Smith

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
philarys

Lack of navy advise

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:15 pm

The kind folk who try to help on the Forum can only do so if they have something to help you with. So could you post at least one of your problem areas so we have a starting point. Thanks. I'm no expert in this field but with generations of sea-faring folk in the family, I have still found all sorts of records going back almost 200 years.
brunes08

Re: Lack of navy advise

Postby philarys » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:33 am

Thankyou for your reply, I did not mean people on the forum only at the various history shows that we have visited. One of the question is when a royal navy man dies at sea, how do you find where he might be buried, we hope that their must be a record somewhere. He was taken by launch to Malta for burial,but we cant find him in any of the cemeteries, his name was Stephen Smith died march 1900, and was on Hms Edgar. Age 26.
Hilary Phil Smith

philarys

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Do you have a copy of his death cert? The ref is Page 333 GRO Marine Death Indices 1846-1902. I have never ordered this type of death cert mut maybe it contains extra/different info to a UK death cert?
meekhcs

Postby philarys » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks for that we hadn't thought about that, We did find the No, but as death cert. don't have info about burials, had not sent for it, but you're right if the death was reg. after coming home maybe the grave info is on it. We will have to send for it.

philarys

Postby junkers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:42 am

Have you looked at the log book for HMS Edgar (ADM 53/13440: 1900 Feb. 20 - 1900 June 1) which is at The National Archives (TNA) in Kew, which will probably say what happened to him. I am surprised that you did not find naval experts at WDYTYA as they would have their military/navy experts there. Although it was written some years ago there is a good book by Nicholas Rodgers on Royal Navy records and TNA have research guides on their website.
junkers

Postby philarys » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:03 am

Yes we have looked at the log book , thats how we found that he was taken by launch to Malta, it even gives the coordinates, but we don't know how to use them, the last time we posted this someone said to try them ,but we cant do it. When we went to the London show we had some time with a army expert,he looked at my great great grandfather records from the Crimean , but he said no one from the navy ever come to the shows, we went to the first Scotland show at Glasgow, and again nothing which surprised us as the ship and navy connection that in the area. We will have to take another visit to the reading room at Portsmouth dockyard, they were helpful last time, and it was them that told us to look at the log book. Thanks for all your advice.

philarys

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:03 am

Have you tried any of the Maltese Family Hisory sites eg maltafamilyhistory.com
Alternatively there is Rootschat which is the biggest worldwide forum for Family History. I am not sure if there is a Maltese Board but ask the question in the general section if not. They have very good monitors who will transfer your question to the appropriate board.
meekhcs

Postby philarys » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:42 pm

We have been on their site and looked at the burial records and we emailed them twice but they dont answer,but thanks anyway

philarys

Postby junkers » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Have you tried deceased online, I found one of my ancestors and her burial in Malta in the 1830s.
junkers

Next

Return to Military help