Moderator Control Panel ]

Percy White and Alice Phillips

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby Kerry78 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 am

Hi all need help with my grandparents

Percy White b.1922 in Aston, Warickshire was in the Royal Engineers during WW2 I have a picture of him in a tropical uniform I've been told that he went through North Africa, Italy and a Concentration Camp, unfortunatly I dont have his regiment or number.

Alice Phillips b.1926 Tipton Staffs was in the Women's Auxillary Airforce, I'm unsure was she was based, but I know she was part of the ground crew or a driver.

If anyone can help I will be very Gratefull

Thanks Kerry
Kerry78

Re: Percy White and Alice Phillips

Postby ColinB » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:50 am

I'm afraid service records for WW2 are still with the MOD. This link tells you how to go about applying ( £30 per record ).

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-se ... es-records
ColinB

Postby Kerry78 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:14 am

thankyou colin
Kerry78

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:10 pm

I think it is more likely that he was in a Prisoner of War camp rather than a concentration camp as the two were for distinctly different purposes. I did have a relative who had the same service in North Africa. He was captured by the Germans and taken through Italy and ended up in a camp in Austria. A few years ago I found a book in the library at the National Archives which listed all POWs in the 2WW. It gave details of regiments, service numbers and a reference to the particular camp so I was able to establish exactly where he was held in Austria. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the book. I do not know if there are other copies of this book around that you could track down or if you know anyone who could go to the archive to look for you.
brunes08

Postby Sylcec » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:47 am

TNA have a guide to WWII POWs here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/prisoners-war-1939-1953.htm
Ancestry have the WWII POW database on line. I could only find one P White who was in the Royal Engineers:
Name: P C White
Army Number: 7590299
Regiment: Royal Engineers
POW Number: 3213
Camp Type: Stalag
Camp Number: VIII-B
Camp Location: Cieszyn, Poland
Record Office: Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers Record Office, 2A, Tichborne Street, Leicester
Record Office Number: 44

Poland certainly doesn't fit the idea of a tropical location, but without knowing where he was captured it's hard to know if this might be your man. Noting the name of the relevant record office, maybe your next step would be to contact them for further information which would confirm or rule out P C White.
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:03 am

With respect to Alice Phillips; there is info on the WAAFs in WWII here:
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/online-exhibitions/women-of-the-air-force/womens-auxiliary-air-force-waaf-1939-1949.aspx or use this link http://tinyurl.com/nlsapkv

Again, there is a guide on the National Archives site here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/womensroyalairforce.htm but as I think already noted, to get a service record for Alice you will need to apply to the MoD.
Sylcec

Postby ColinB » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:59 am

brunes08 wrote:I think it is more likely that he was in a Prisoner of War camp rather than a concentration camp as the two were for distinctly different purposes. .

I must admit I assumed Kerry meant he was involved in liberating a Concentration Camp.
ColinB

Postby brunes08 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:28 am

It is possible. I thought you meant he was in a camp bearing in mind my relatives story. Sorry. Incidentally, he was in R.E.M.E. However, all things are possible and need to be confirmed or disproved one by one. I have found many times over the years that family 'truths' may not always be quite how they are represented - memories being what they are - so you just have to keep working at it until you are sure one way or another.
The tropical uniform mentioned is probably the light weight uniform that was worn in hotter climates such as North Africa and not literally in the Tropics. Traditional uniform would have been far too uncomfortable to wear in desert conditions.
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:47 am

I have just had a look on the internet. There are several sites regarding Stalag VIII-b that may be of help - one even has a large group photo of some of the soldiers. May be worth looking at.
brunes08

Postby Kerry78 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:06 am

Thankyou guys for the help, dont think he was a POW, more like infiltrated the concentration camps :D
Kerry78

Return to Military help