Moderator Control Panel ]

George Owen

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

George Owen

Postby janmlawson » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:07 pm

b. Rusholme 1832 m Mary Hood 19 Sep 1853 Manchester Cathedral.
1861 in Rusholme with wife Mary and children Lavinia b. 1854, Georgina b. 1856, Walter b. 1569

Then I can't find him dead or alive but in the 1871 Census a Mary married to John James b. Rusholme 1832 with Georgina James b. 1857 and Walter James b. 1859. 1881 the James family 10 years older.

I think George became John and the death certificate (according to family member) said George James.

What does anyone else think?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
janmlawson

Re: George Owen

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:15 pm

You can check the 1871 & 1881 age, place of birth and occupation, see if they are same or similar to 1861. This could eliminate him if totally different.

It does happen though, as my 2'GGfather was illegitimate, and changed his christening name from his mother's to his step-fathers, (he may have been his real father, but I don't know for sure). There could be lots of reasons, perhaps to hide some naughty goings on, or it could have been a clause in someone's will, to enable him to benefit from a bequest. There is no law stopping you, unless it is for nefarious reasons.

Mike

Mick Loney

Postby sdup26 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:54 pm

All the personal details of the Manchester Owen family in 1861 ‘fit’ for the 1871 Warwickshire family, except that father is no longer George Owen, a plasterer, but John James, with a different occupation. There doesn’t seem to be a death for George Owen, or a marriage for John James to Mary Owen. If this is a name change for George, the children were probably old enough to cope with the situation, but presumably they eventually married - have you got marriage certificates for them, and if so, do they name their father as George Owen or John James? It may be difficult, if not impossible, to find out why it all happened, but on the face of it, George and John do appear to be the same man.
sdup26

Postby janmlawson » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:38 pm

It's my gt. gt. gfather's other family but I thought it was interesting. The person who did the original tree just accepted they couldn't find the records so I wondered if I was just imagining it.

janmlawson

Postby ColinB » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:58 pm

sdup26 wrote:All the personal details of the Manchester Owen family in 1861 ‘fit’ for the 1871 Warwickshire family, except that father is no longer George Owen, a plasterer, but John James, with a different occupation. , but on the face of it, George and John do appear to be the same man.

I think the occupation for "both" men is poulterer , not plasterer.

William , Arthur and John Harry OWEN were all baptised 4 Nov 1868 Hulme St John Baptist, parents George Owen , poulterer, and Mary of 26 Caroline Street. I'm inclined to think that the name was changed , maybe to escape some difficult circumstances , such as bankruptcy , especially as they moved away to Birmingham.Nothing found in the papers to back this up though.
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:54 pm

There is an Ancestry tree with several certificates attached . The death certificate is for George James died 15 Nov 1901 at North Street , Wolverhampton , informant M James , widow and there is a birth certificate for Ernest James b 20 Nov 1873 Dunstall Lane Wolverhampton , parents George James , poulterer, and Mary James , formerly HOOD.
ColinB

Postby janmlawson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks for all your help

janmlawson

Postby talever77 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 am

Hello,
I am relatively new to tracing my ancestors but wondered if you got anywhere with this query? I am researching the 'James' family tree and one of these men (if it isn't the same man) is my paternal gt gt gt grandfather.

I believe John and Feorge James to be the same man as George is named on Ernest's birth certificate in 1873 even though John was named on the 1871 and 1881 census and the name George didn't appear until 1891.

I too can't find a marriage other than the one to George Owen.

Thanks
talever77

Postby janmlawson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 pm

What a confusing story this is! As far as I have worked out, and there's another person who has done this family tree and produced a very different one, he starts life as George Owen. He married Mary Hood in Manchester in 1853 and he is on the 1861 census as George Owen. In 1871 he is on the Census as John James and the same in 1881. In 1891 he seems to be now called George James, the same for the 1901 census and on his death certificate. I wondered if it was a coincidence that John and James are the the fathers' names on the marriage certificate. My tree is on family tree maker and I have never managed to consolidate what the programme sees as 2 families. Most of the time I have tracked it through the name Lavinia which was Mary Hood's mother's name and later using Ernest. If this is your family it's not an easy one to work out.

My connection, denied by the other tree maker, is through Mary Hood's father who remarried when the previously mentioned Lavinia Hood died. It was this forum that showed me that connection causing lots of ranting and denial before reworking a whole section of my tree.

If you find anything different please let me know. Good luck.
janmlawson

Return to General research queries