Moderator Control Panel ]

Durham Brothers in WW1

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Durham Brothers in WW1

Postby Mariner Aus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:01 am

Hi everyone

I've recently found that my great grandfather Anthony Wilson had two siblings who also served in WW1 but in different regiments to him.

I believe I have found out what I can for the above three but I am also aware of two other brothers who are mourners at my great grandfathers funeral in 1940. I would love to know if these two brothers also served during WW1.

Their info is:

George Henry Wilson b. 1884 to Dipton - Durham (married Elizabeth Robinson)
William Wilson b. 1886 to Dipton - Durham (married Dora Thompson)

Sons of John and Hannah Wilson both deceased by 1913.

I realise it's a big job to find them but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Re: Durham Brothers in WW1

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:05 pm

The only way to be certain is to look for any Absent Voters Lists for the area.

You could look at the personnel records and filter them by birthplace and then by residence. Unfortunately Ancestry doesn't always index those items though I've no real feeling for how many are missing them. And I have no idea what FMP's hit rate on those items is.

If you don't find anyone with the correct details, it doesn't mean anything as only 25 to 33% of personnel records survive.

You should also check with Durham Record Office and local family history societies in case they know of any complete listings from companies or churches, instead of the usual lists of those who were killed.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:15 pm

You could also look in the local press of the time. In my area in the early days the papers used to list the names of all the men who had enlisted that week - where they had enlisted and which regiment they had joined. It fairly labourious but I did it for all the war years so it's not an impossible task.
phsvm

Postby Mariner Aus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:50 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. Unfortunately I live in Australia but I will see what access I can get to absent voters lists.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Postby ColinB » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:59 am

Don't forget that they could have served in the Navy. In my Grandfather's family the boys split between the two services.
ColinB

Return to Military help