Moderator Control Panel ]

Derby Scheme 1915 s 16

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Derby Scheme 1915 s 16

Postby Beeston_Boy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:44 am

Good Morning all!
The Derby Scheme was Britain's first move towards conscription during the Great War. A listing of Men eligible for war service. I have seen some registration cards, but do central records exist? I have seen reference to some entries on " find my past" but do they have all of them and are they searchable?
Paul

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Beeston_Boy

Re: Derby Scheme 1915 s 16

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:40 am

According to a .PDF "Research Toolkit 3: The Home Front in World War 1" produced for Gloucestershire Archives, "the National Registration Act 1915 ... required a register of every adult in the country between the ages of 15 and 65 to be created. It was administered by the Registrar General ... The local authorities ... were the local registration authorities". This register was then used in connection with the Derby Scheme. However, it says, "Sadly, few local returns have survived. The National Register information is mostly held at the National Archives in London, but some records were retained locally, although they are somewhat piecemeal in nature, such as isolated movement registers (indicating the movement of workers in and out of local areas) and enumerators’ books".

I can find no evidence of any survival of individuals' records at Kew. Logically, based on what's said above, they should be under class "RG", like all censuses from 1861 on. However, all entries in the TNA Catalogue seem to be about the Register rather than individual pseudo-census forms. I wonder if the pseudo-census forms ever reached London, or whether they were just dealt with locally?

Given that the 1939 Register (not quite the same thing) is known about and is in the course of digitisation, but I've not heard anything about this, I'd hazard a guess that the bulk of pseudo-census forms were long since destroyed. I'd love to be proved wrong, of course!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:47 am

There must be some law about finding details immediately after posting a reply. I thought to look on the (highly recommended) Great War Forum - the answer is "destroyed in 1919".

See http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=174815&p=1700139 for the post, which then links to this: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=National_Register
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Beeston_Boy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks Adrian, I should have known it was too good to be true!
Paul

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Beeston_Boy

Return to Military help