Moderator Control Panel ]

Problems with the forum – resolved

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Re: Problems with the forum – resolved

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:11 am

JaneyH wrote:... At the present time I don't get any adverts on the app, ...

I find that the ads often take a considerable time to appear (Samsung S3 Mini on Android), so I can actually read many threads without the ad appearing.

Because the ads come in a specific, defined fashion, it may be that it is possible to download ad-blocking software designed to silence this particular channel. I don't know so I've never tried it and therefore am in no position to recommend it.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby paulr1949 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:27 pm

I had a half hour session with a coffee this morning and no ads appeared, just the spaces. Not complaining ;-)

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby SoozOne » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:06 am

Absolutely Delighted to see sponsorship ads back to WDYTYA again. Thank you so much for listening.
Susan

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby jadedcynic2015 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:07 am

Hi
I've just logged on for the first time ever.

In a recent google search, i found a post on your site that is directly related to research I've been doing.

I have taken the time to verify all my information before registering on here in order to contact the member who posted the original enquiry.

Now I have written my first response to them, but I have a message telling me my post looks 'spammy'. No actual guidelines about what you mean by this. It also tells me to remove any 'bad' words; again, this is not qualified in any way so it's impossible for me to understand (even as a senior researcher with a Masters degree in linguistics and English language) what the heck you mean by this.
Guidance please.
jadedcynic2015

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:51 am

Jo,

I've just seen your post on this thread and on the 'prison records' discussion. You mentioned you couldn't post information because it "looked spammy". I suspect this is because you're new to the forum and you tried to include a website address in your response.

This forum has periodically had problems with people joining and posting spam (selling kitchens was a favourite!) so the administrators now prevent new members from posting web addresses for their first few posts.

I realise this can be a bit frustrating, but I hope it doesn't put you off. There are lots of very knowledgeable people who contribute to this site who are very generous with their time. Good luck with your research!

Janey

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby jadedcynic2015 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Janey,

Thanks for the helpful response.

However, I did not include a web address or email as I'm aware they are typically part of the parameters that 'bots' are set to search for when detecting potential spam.

I eventually pared my message down to one or two lines that said very little; I just hope it will be enough for the person in question to feel able to respond to. My research is very germane to theirs, so all I am trying to do is help them out with a question they had posted.

Thanks again,

Jo
jadedcynic2015

Previous

Return to Magazine chat