Moderator Control Panel ]

cine film equipment

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

cine film equipment

Postby devonliz » Sun May 31, 2015 10:30 am

My father has many old cine films, some dating from the 1930s, and he needs to edit them before he gets them transferred to DVD. He has a splicer, but needs the film cement (glue) to rejoin the film. Does anyone know where this can be obtained?
He also needs a rubber drive band for an Eumig P8 projector .... Or indeed a functioning 8mm projector! Any ideas?
devonliz

Re: cine film equipment

Postby philippereynolds » Sun May 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi. I found this on Amazon. Would this help?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Cine-Film- ... B00005LEKZ

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
philippereynolds

Postby devonliz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Thanks, Phillipa
I shall explore Amazon and eBay ... I guess there is a sort of underground group of enthusiasts for this retro stuff!
devonliz

Postby philippereynolds » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:20 am

It's Philippe but you're welcome. :)

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
philippereynolds

cine film equipment

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi,

Have you considered the fact that it might be easier for your father to edit the film after it has been transferred to a digital format?
Editing the film itself may result in losing some of the film, plus you would then need all the paraphernalia that goes with it. It would also be possible to add a sound track/commentary if necessary. Which all depends of course, on how computer savvy your father is, you never know, he might relish the challenge.

I had an old reel of 8mm cine film, which I had transferred to digital format by a local camera shop. (Try local yellow pages).
Now I can edit the digital version to my hearts content, and I still have original film untouched!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby devonliz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:00 pm

Aha, Mike, I think you are quite correct - this was lurking in my brain even as my Dad was describing what he wanted to do. He has already had the films transferred to DVD, albeit some of the speeds are not quite correct.
Perhaps I should have a go on my copy - is it just like cut-and-paste of text? Do I need special software?
The movies have some interesting military sequences and I think the idea was to give the actual edited film fragments to the IWM and then keep the DVD for home consumption, but I feel that the DVD would be improved by cutting out some of the duller stretches.

He tells me he has obtained a drive belt for the projector, so that aspect of the system is ready to roll.r
devonliz

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:16 am

Liz,

Yes, you will need some software, but if you are anything like me, You won't want to pay for it, especially if it will only be used once or twice.

With that in mind, I did a quick google search for free video editing software, and lo and behold, you may already have some!

Windows already come supplied with 'Windows Live Movie Maker'. From what I've read, it seems to do everything you want, and according to write up, is quite simple to use, although I can't vouch for this, as I've never used it.

Follow this link http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ad-1136264

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby devonliz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:03 am

Fantastic Mike, I will investigate the Windows software. I expect it will be what I want. Thanks for that excellent link.
The best thing about editing a digital file is that there is no irreversible cutting, and yet one can insert captions, and still keep the original.
Nevertheless, I do love watching the old movies on a blank wall with the burr of the projector and the fuss at the end of the reel; all of this is eliminated by transfer to digital systems....
devonliz

Postby Alive Studios » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:11 pm

Cam across this site whilst doing family history research for a client, and found this thread interesting. Just want to offer some technical advice if anyone's interested...
It is now early 2016 and the company I work at now offer 4K film scanning from 8mm, 9.5mm and 16mm cine film, as well as transfer from cine film to digital in 3D...
I strongly agree with the advice that was posted above about keeping the original cine reels - this is essential as technology continue to improve year on year, and what we though was cleve 5 years ago is now old-hat.
If you're having your films converted, please consider a digital version (store on memory stick or hard-drive) either instead of, or as well as a traditional disc. If going to disc opt for Blu-ray preferably as it's HD, try to avoid transferring to DVD as this is standard definition and loses so much colour depth and detail.
Regarding manual editing, this is not necessary and would be so tricky now with lack of equipment, splices etc. Use a cloud-based service where you can view the films online and ask your editor to make the necessary changes. Any intricate editing can then be easily done on your home computer with something like Adobe Premiere or iMovie.
My final advice is to record lots of data with the film - as much as you you can find out, try to embed as metadata in the digital file. We get so many customers who inherit boxes of cine film and the parents and grandparents who shot it are long since passed on, and they've no record of who these people were.
Hope thats helpful. My website Alive Studios has tons of useful technical info and helpful videos about this subject if you would like to know more.
Alive Studios

Postby devonliz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Thank you very much! I will certainly try to get more 'metadata' and to record the films in a more modern format. Some of the scenes must be unique. I have already made some pencil-and-paper notes of places and people but perhaps I should confirm the correctness of these memories since the events were 75 years ago.

Are there any historical or military archives who might appreciate some old movies from pre-war India?
devonliz

Next

Return to Photo identification