Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 POW pic ?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 POW pic ?

Postby DaddyMac42 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:41 am

Hi - can any one offer any thoughts on this photo ? I think it is a WW1 POW camp (Senne ?) shot.

Many thanks for any contributions.
Attachments
a2 (2).JPG
a2 (2).JPG (874.37 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
DaddyMac42

Re: WW1 POW pic ?

Postby g w aldous » Wed May 27, 2015 8:28 am

First what a wonderful photo, My first impression is that it is not POW but maybe Hospital or just a show for the troops in a rear area. The uniforms are British & French, Although the soldier rear right side seems to have what could be a German uniform and has no epaulettes but I am not certain.
The stage seems to have been painted for a show of some sort.
The one thing that makes me think hospital is they are all from different units and seem to be wearing full uniform with no POW markers, I don't know if they had POW markers front and back.
Also from other photos I have seen of POW camps the countries seem to be split up.
But I am always open to being proved wrong. :D
g w aldous

Re: WW1 POW pic ?

Postby brunes08 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:25 pm

I agree. It is a wonderful photograph. I had been thinking about all the instruments. I know many POWs were pretty ingenious but would they have been able to avail themselves of all that is in the photo? I thought it might be some sort of show for the troops. Have you tried putting it on the 1WW forum or contacting the Imperial War Museum. There may well be someone there who could help you.
brunes08

Return to Photo identification