Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth Registration

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Birth Registration

Postby janmlawson » Sat May 23, 2015 10:44 am

I can find my Great Grandmother's baptismal record but the Records Office can't find a birth registration. Is there anywhere else to look?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
janmlawson

Re: Birth Registration

Postby AntonyM » Sat May 23, 2015 1:25 pm

There are a number of possibilities...here are just a few:

1) She was registered in a different registration district to where you were expecting
2) She was registered without being given a first name ...just as female + surname
3) She wasn't registered at all .... does happen occasionally, more so the further back you go.
4) She was registered under a different name and then adopted or name was changed for some other reason.
5) She was older/younger than you think so you are looking in the wrong year. Does the baptism record give a birth date (they often do) ...and don't forget baptisms can often be done on older children, not just babies.

When you say the Records Office can't find it - who exactly do you mean - GRO (the General Register Office) or the local registration office , and how are you searching for her ?

If you want to give her details I'm sure someone will help you find her.
AntonyM

Postby meekhcs » Sat May 23, 2015 3:01 pm

If you would like help then post your query in "General Research Queries"
meekhcs

Postby KayFarndon » Mon May 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Could you give us her name please?
KayFarndon

Postby janmlawson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:07 pm

KayFarndon wrote:Could you give us her name please?

janmlawson

Postby janmlawson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Janet Hood born 1864 in Manchester, I think. Father was James Hood and mother was Sarah. Baptised December 1864 in Manchester. She marriedWalter David Clarke. I found one entry but the mother is Mary Ann Pigney

janmlawson

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:21 am

There is an entry:

Janet Hood, 1864 Q1 Chorlton 8c 617

Chorlton District covered lots of parishes in or around Manchester.

NB I simply searched FreeBMD for Janet Hood, born before 1864 and this is the most obvious entry from the 7 returned.

Mike

Mick Loney

Postby janmlawson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:54 pm

I ordered the birth certificate and the parents were James Hood and Mary Ann Hood nee Pigney - not the mother I had in my tree. Further research has added to the confusion with 2 Janet Hoods the other with Sarah Delderfield as the mother. One Janet married Thomas Murthwaite in 1890 and the other married my great grandfather Walter David Clarke in 1894. Then I thought maybe she left one and married the other but the 2 Janets lead parallel lives and one had a child in March 1901 and the other had one in April. To add to the confusion Thomas Murthwaite was the witness at the 'other' Janet Hood's sister's (Sarah Ann Hood )wedding and Sarah Ann Hood was the witness at Thomas Murthwaite and Janet Hood's wedding.

So you see the problem isn't solved by that birth entry.

janmlawson

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:10 am

Some questions that need answering:

1. What evidence do you have that your Janet's parents were James & Sarah?
2. Is the other Janet the same age?
3. Where was other Janet born?

The answers may help you decide if you have correct Janet.

I had a similar problem with one of my GGrandmothers, and I had her parents wrong for years. It was only when I spotted another tree on ancestry that showed a similar family, and the death certificate of the father confirmed it was my GGmother's, as she was the one who notified the register. So check the death certificates as well, you never know what useful tidbits can be found there.

Mike

Mick Loney

Postby janmlawson » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Other family member's trees. We had all plotted the same family history backed up by various documents. Plus, according to Census, there are other family connections confirming relationships. I thought it was correct until I looked for the birth registration. I have the baptism record but wanted the actual date of birth.
One Janet Hood born January 1864 and the other baptised December 1864, one in Manchester the other probably in Manchester.

janmlawson

Next

Return to Genealogy chat