Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth Registration

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Birth Registration

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:29 pm

If you followed all the rules (only working backwards etc), and you are happy with what you have so far, it may be necessary to bite the bullet, and accept that there was no Birth Certificate issued.

I have same problem with my own grandfather. I'm fortunate that I knew him and his father well, as they both lived to a ripe old age, yet I cannot find his birth registered either, even though I do know where and when he was born.

Your last hope may be in Janet's local register office. Perhaps she was registered locally, but the registration never made it to the national index.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby janmlawson » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:13 pm

I realise there comes a time when you have to stop banging your head against the brick wall. It's just the more I looked at it all the more confusing it became. My husband suggested stolen identity or some sort of fraud. It happens today even though we have so much more surveillance, so why not then when so much was taken on trust. I got in touch with a distant cousin, with far more experience than I have, and he felt our research was sound but then there is that little niggle......

janmlawson

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Do you have Janet in all the censuses? If so, does she have both parents present and who are they?

Remember that a certain percentage of official records are plain simple wrong - accidentally. The art is trying to decide which one is the wrong one.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:42 am

Here's my summary: - Janet's mother is Mary, and not Sarah.

Here's the detail that you get by putting censuses together with marriages, etc. (using Ancestry collections):

KNOWN:
She married Walter David Clarke in 29 Jan 1894 at Holy Trinity, Hulme
(I assume this is the correct marriage - plainly you know better than I on that score ;) )
Therefore we know from the marriage that she is 30y, living 28 Chapman St, father James Hood (deceased), millwright. She should be born 1863/64.

(Note - on the same day, William Markham marries Annie Redfern. Janet is Annie's witness and Annie is Janet's. Any link? They could just be friends.)

Search UK Censuses for Janet Hood b1863 +/- 5y, with similar first names asked for.
1871 & 1881 Scots include Janet Hood w parents Archibald & Janet, b England. All other Scots examples of the name are b Scotland so discard them.

This leaves only English censuses, viz:
- Janet M Hood, b abt 1859, Manchester to William & Mary, resident Hulme

- Janet Hood, b abt 1865 Mancr, to James (mill-packer b Scotland) & Sarah (b Herefordshire), res. Manchester, All Souls
- Janet V Hood, b abt 1866 Dorset, res. Dorset.

- Janet Hood, b abt 1865 Manchester, to James (yarn-packer, Scotland) & Sarah (b Hertfordshire), res. Manchester (NB Sisters include Sarah A Hood)
- Jeannette Hood, b abt 1864 Manchester, to Mary (widow from Cambridgeshire), res. Hulme (boarders)

- Jeanette Wood (corrected to Hood in index), b 1864 Manchester, res. Hulme (28 Chapman St, to be precise)

Assumed - these are all the Janet Hoods relevant to England.

Plainly the 1871 dau of James & Sarah has to be the 1881 dau of James & Sarah.

Looking at the marriages:
There are only two qualifying by name and age in England:
- Janet Hood (b 1864/65) to Thomas Murthwaite, 25 Aug 1890, Cheetham, St Mark, fa: James Hood, a packer. Witnesses include Sarah A Hood.
- Janet Hood (b 1864/65) res. 28 Chapman St., to Walter David Clarke, 29 Jan 1894, Hulme Holy Trinity, fa: James Hood, deceased, Millwright (we know this is yours)

Janet Hood / Murthwaite has a father who is a packer and a witness Sarah A Hood. Plainly she is therefore the dau of James (yarn or mill packer) and Sarah from the 1871 & 1881.

Janet Hood / Clarke is plainly the one in the 1891 census as the street address (28 Chapman St.) matches exactly.

Assuming that the censuses give us the full story, then Janet Hood / Clarke must also be Jeannette Hood in the 1881, b abt 1864 Manchester, to Mary (widow from Cambridgeshire), res. Hulme (boarders). This also implies that Ancestry has not got her in the 1871 (I am assuming that the Dorset one has nothing to do with it!)

So - your Janet has a mother MARY, and NOT Sarah.

Looking at the Ancestry version of FreeBMD, we have these births within 5y of 1863 in England & Wales
Jannet McGregor Hood 1859 Jan-Feb-Mar Chorlton Lancashire
Janet Hood 1864 Jan-Feb-Mar Chorlton Lancashire
Janet Hood 1865 Apr-May-Jun Liverpool Lancashire
Janet V Hood 1866 Jan-Feb-Mar Dorchester Dorset
Jeanetta Hood 1867 Oct-Nov-Dec Durham Durham

The Dorset birth is down there in the 1871.
I discard the Durham birth.
The 1859 birth is in the 1861 census but not later, so I'll ignore her for the moment. (Her baptism is at Manchester Cathedral, 20 Mar 1859, to William & Mary Hood).
That leaves 2 in Lancashire:
Janet Hood 1865 Apr-May-Jun Liverpool Lancashire

There is a baptism in Liverpool (see Ancestry) of Janet Parry Hood to Archibald & Janet Hood on 5 June 1865. This must surely be the Liverpool birth in the same quarter. She is in Scotland in the 1871 and 1881 censuses (see above). That leaves just 1 in Lancashire:

I presume this is the birth to Mary Ann Hood nee Pigney as you referred to. But, as I show above, this IS the correct mother's name.

What IS a concern is that I still only have one birth registration for two census Janets - but the missing one seems now to be not yours.

The 9 Dec 1864 baptism is to James & Sarah - we now know this is the WRONG mother, so is not yours.

I think your Janet's parents are in the Ancestry 1861 census at Chorlton upon Medlock as Mary A Hood (b abt 1826, Cambridgeshire) and James Hood (indexed as Wood again!) b abt 1802 Ireland, a millwright. He matches the 1894 marriage. There is a possible death for him in the Chorlton district Q4 1869 but it needs to be checked out.

So - have I made an error anywhere?????
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby janmlawson » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:47 pm

I think you are right and my tree wrong. I will have to come to terms with an Irish James Hood and Mary Pigney. It's ********! I have plotted the other or the correct tree and I can't trace the Pigney family and you don't get very far with the Irish. Thanks for your help. I think I was in denial.

janmlawson

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:54 pm

Good luck with the Irish - you'll need it! :)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Birth Registration

Postby pete25 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Try looking here...I was very fortunate in finding my Irish ancestry
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:01 am

Have you traced the James Hood born in Ireland c. 1802 in any way in theUK prior to his marriage to Mary in 1859? I had a quick look on ancestry which features a tree for a James married to a Lavinia who disappears after 1850. He is a millwright and they are living in Salford. Could this be yourJames?

On the 1841 census both this James and his wife Lavinia are born in Ireland so this may give you a starting point.

Sally
meekhcs

Birth Registration

Postby janmlawson » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:46 am

So I have culled lots of people from my tree and come to terms, almost, with my new heritage. I had my DNA tested recently and I was surprised to find I was 11% Irish. This probably explains it! I am grateful for your hard work even if I haven't seemed that way. It was the Chapman Street address that clinched it for me. Something so simple but totally overlooked by me. I was diverted by the different name, too. Even if I that part of the tree comes to a stop at least I know it's correct now. Thanks again.

Yours

Jan

janmlawson

Postby pete25 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:58 am

[OK HAND SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat