Moderator Control Panel ]

Crown Copyright Reserved

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Crown Copyright Reserved

Postby Snootyfox » Fri May 22, 2015 3:24 pm

I have a photograph of a baby in a pram which, I have been told, was taken outside the welfare clinic in a suburb of Leeds. On the reverse is the Crown logo with the letters A at one side, M at the other, and the words 'Crown Copyright Reserved'. Does anyone know why such a photo would be taken? Was there a government scheme to photograph all babies after WWII perhaps? Any advice as to how I can follow this up welcome.
Snootyfox

Crown Copyright Reserved

Postby brunes08 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:03 pm

I can't help but you have prompted me to follow up the same query. I recently found a photo of my sister with on the back - Crown Copyright Reserved. It is a head and shoulders photo taken when she must have been 5 or 6 years old. It looks a bit like a passport photo but isn't because we didn't travel abroad as a family for about another 5 years after the photo was taken. In any case, we were entered just by name on my father's passport without the need for photos back then. The photo would have been taken about 1947 or 1948.
brunes08

Re: Crown Copyright Reserved

Postby brunes08 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:37 pm

I've just looked 'Crown Copyright' on line. Not a lot of help so far in understanding why these two photos have this on the back. There was a brief discussion on rootschat.com about it but that didn't help. There is a useful article on the Leeds Metropolitan University site lo5-b.leedsmet.ac.uk all about Crown Copyright. The Copyright Act 1911 which covers our photos came into force on 1 July, 1912. From what I gather, the photo of my sister is now out of copyright as it lasted only for 50 years after the photo was taken. However, none of this tells us anything about why the photos were taken in the first place. Let's hope someone is able to enlighten us.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm younger than the photos quoted above (yah! it happens! ) but I remember the photographer coming round to my school every year. My parents could then buy a copy at suitable price. If the photographer was commissioned by the local education department then the resulting shots would be Crown Copyright. It may be nothing more interesting than that. Even if it was the photographer's idea, to gain them some cash, the agreement might still leave copyright with the State.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Thank you AdrianB38. It does seem likely that the photo of my sister (she is older than me I hasten to add) was taken when she was at school. She looks very neat and tidy. It's not the sort of photo that my parents took - far too formal.
brunes08

Return to Photo identification