Moderator Control Panel ]

Augusta Tolman born 1807

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Augusta Tolman born 1807

Postby oundle pilgrim » Tue May 19, 2015 8:28 pm

Augusta was married (I assume) to my 3xgt grandfather John Burgess. She appears on the birth certificates of all the children of John. She is shown as Augusta Burgess on every census from 1841 to 1881. She died in 1887 aged 80.
Tolman is relatively uncommon but I have been unable to trace any record of Augusta's birth - variously listed as London and Middlesex nor can I trace any record of the marriage which was probably around 1825.
Any advice on how to proceed or anyone with information about any Tolmans
Oundle Pilgrim
oundle pilgrim

Augusta Tolman born 1807

Postby brunes08 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:33 pm

When was the first child born and where were the others born? This information may help to pinpoint a parish or parishes to try to track a marriage. You say her birth is variously described as London or Middlesex. As they border each other any added information would help.
brunes08

Re: Augusta Tolman born 1807

Postby oundle pilgrim » Wed May 20, 2015 9:07 am

First child was born in 1828 and all children were born in the Pimlico area of Westminster. John had moved down to London from Bedordshire.
1851 census shows Augusta born Hampton Middlesex
1861 shows City of London
1871 shows London
1881 shows St George ( presumably Hanover Square)
oundle pilgrim

Postby Sylcec » Fri May 22, 2015 5:52 pm

but in 1841 both John and Augusta are recorded as Not born in the county (Middx), though all the children are.
Sylcec

Postby junkers » Fri May 22, 2015 6:42 pm

The parish of St George is more likely to be St George-in-the-East than St George Hanover Square.
junkers

Postby Yartin » Fri May 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Junkers thinks the parish might be St. George-in-the-East. Could be worth considering that the reason you are having difficulty finding Augusta is the possibility is she is of German extraction. Tolman appears to be a German surname (as well as English?) and perhaps her baptism is in a German church London.
Yartin

Postby oundle pilgrim » Fri May 22, 2015 8:08 pm

That's an interesting possibility. I will see if it goes anywhere. Thanks
oundle pilgrim

Postby ianbee » Sun May 24, 2015 6:48 pm

I would wonder why Hampton is given as her place of birth in 1851. There doesn't seem to be a baptism of her there (or anywhere else!), but there were some Tollmans in Hampton, so you would hope that there might be a connection?
There was an Augusta Tollman born in Hampton, but much later, in 1867, daughter of George, a butler. George seems to have been the son of another George Tollman born around the late 1790s, he says in Hampton, but again, I'm not sure there is a baptism of him there. Thomas + Elizabeth may have been his parents. I would certainly investigate that whole family, if possible.

One small possible lead, or a red herring? John + Augusta Burgess had a son who they named Francis Hadney. Hadney seems to be a rare and unusual name in England. A search on FreeBMD for Hadney as a surname brought up just three entries, there are a few parish register entries before then, not many. Ditto as a christian name.
But one of those very few is a Hadney Toleman, who married in Marylebone in 1823 (I think the first record of John + Augusta Burgess is in Marylebone in 1826). Hadney's spouse was Lydia Coleman. They seem to have had a daughter Emma, born somewhere in Westminster. It appears that Hadney spent virtually all his working life in Trumpington, Cambridgeshire, as a butler. There he went by the name James. Seems to be Hadney only on his marriage, and then is given as Hadney Antony Toleman on death/burial/probate in 1872.
The census returns just say he was born in London. His wife Lydia is not in TrumpIngton, in 1851 and 1861 she may be living in Middlesex, in 1841 she might have be in Cambridgeshire with Emma?
So again, may be something to bear in mind.
Ian
ianbee

Postby oundle pilgrim » Sun May 24, 2015 7:20 pm

I have discovered a Mary Tolman born in Hampton in 1805 parents John and Ann. One possibility may be that this is Augusta who changed her name.
I had noticed the Hadney in the names of Francis and wondered about a family connection. There is nothing on the Burgess side that would fit so the Hadney Tolman possibility is one I will explore. Thanks Ian
oundle pilgrim

Postby DJTollman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 pm

I have just found your post and wonder if I can help. My greatx3 grandfather was Thomas Tollman b1760 in Hampton m Elizabeth Ruff b761 in Cobham. They had four children - George b 1795 (my greatx2 grandfather) James b1797, Mary b 1805 (all in Hampton) and a fourth child whose name I don't know but, given the date of birth of your Augusta 1807 could be the missing sibling.
There seemed to be variations of spelling between Tollman and Tolman in parish registers.
Many years ago I did search the parish registers of St James Hampton but don't think I found any mention of Augusta but I'll look through my notes again.
If you have found out anything more since 2015 I would like to hear from you.
David Tollman
DJTollman

Return to General research queries