Moderator Control Panel ]

Pte Samuel Sneyd 1771 - 1793

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Pte Samuel Sneyd 1771 - 1793

Postby DavidG » Tue May 19, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm throwing this one out there as I've hit the proverbial Brick Wall!!

I'm looking for any military records that relate to my 5x Great Grandfather Samuel Sneyd, born Audley Staffs around 1754.

I have a couple of military records the first is his admission into the Royal Garrison Battalion in March 1783 after being wounded in Canada. The second is his discharge from the Royal Garrison Battalion in Chester in 1793.

What I'm trying to establish is, what Regiment was he serving with when he was injured in Canada, what action was it likely to have been in and where would I find any further records?

I've tried the usual suspects but they come up with the two that I already have. Seaching for the RGB on the web doesn't really help that much either!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
DavidG

Re: Pte Samuel Sneyd 1771 - 1793

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:53 pm

I take it that you've tried Ancestry? The Canadian military collections include musters of a number of battalions of the British Army because those units served in Canada at some point in their history - sometimes the musters are nowhere near the Canadian service.

If he is not in any of them then either he's been missed from the index, or the muster is at Kew but hasn't been identified for filming for the Canadian stuff or the muster's been lost.

Unfortunately I suspect that identifying what units were in Canada at that time could be impossible. The major cavalry and infantry units could be tracked down by reading their histories but there might be all other sorts. I'd probably get bored long before I found the full list.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Pte Samuel Sneyd 1771 - 1793

Postby DavidG » Wed May 20, 2015 7:37 pm

Adrian,

That's where it was picked up from but it only mentions his invalid RGB service not his general service.

Dave
DavidG

Return to Military help