Moderator Control Panel ]

Family , Machin/Baker , Tunstall , Staffordshire .

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Family , Machin/Baker , Tunstall , Staffordshire .

Postby Stockhome » Mon May 18, 2015 9:32 pm

I have been researching my wifes' family for some time & believe her grandmother,Ann ,was illegitimate . In the 1871 census she was part of a family listed as having two family heads , namely Thomas(b1826) & John Machin (b1829) living at Mount Street , Tunstall , Staffordshire . Also at the same address was Mary Ann Baker (b1841) , single woman . John Baker (b1862) , son . Emma Baker (b1864) daughter. Henry Baker (b1867) son . & Ann Baker (b1870) daughter . These birthdates varied in the census .In the 1881 census the family are listed as Machin & Mary Ann is recorded as Sister-in-law .John , senior, is missing : a John Machin died in Tunstall in 1874 . I have not been able to find any birth or christening records for John , Emma (Emily) or Henry . I do have a birth certificate for Ann with Mary Ann recorded as the mother but no father which points to illegitimacy . Ann married Frederick Thomas Hughes in 1890 , heragain no father on the marriage certificate . I do believe the father of the offspring was John Machin but I have no proof .
I would be pleased if someone could confirm my beliefs or assist in any way possible . Frederick & Ann had eleven children in total & my wife is only in touch with one cousin in Stoke-on-Trent area : he has very limited knowledge . There must be lots more around : perhaps one of you will read this & come up with an answer ! If anyone requires more information , please get in touch & I will do my best to full in the gaps .
Stockhome

Re: Family , Machin/Baker , Tunstall , Staffordshire .

Postby sdup26 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:18 pm

It looks very much as if Mary Ann, with children John and Emma to look after, took a job as a domestic servant in the Machin household, and had two further children, Henry and Ann, with either Thomas or John Machin. This seems to be supported by the 1881 census, when Mary Ann’s first two children are listed as ‘Baker Machin’ but the last two as just ‘Machin.’

As the householder, when Thomas refers to his relationship with Mary in 1881, it could mean that she had effectively been John’s ‘wife’ and therefore Thomas’s sister-in-law. By the same logic, her children would be Thomas’s ‘nephews and nieces.’ Which would support your view that John was probably the father of the children. I have a virtually identical situation in my own tree.

Unfortunately, the surname Machin is common, and there are a few Emma and Ann/Anne Machins in the Woolstanton registration area on www.freebmd.org.uk so it could be an expensive search for the right ones, which even if you find them, may not include a father’s name.
sdup26

Postby Stockhome » Mon May 25, 2015 6:50 pm

Dear sdup26 , Thanks for replying to my message . I have researched this family quite extensively on various websites but as you say unless I am lucky enough for a family member to see the message on WDYTYR forum I am out of luck . A trip to Staffs record office might turn something up . As you say it could be an expensive search if applying for certificates with no positive outcome . Thanks again for your imput & good luck with your own research . Yours sincerely , Stockhome .
Stockhome

Postby Stockhome » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Dear sdup26. Further to my quest for rellies . Someone from another forum has enlightened me regarding the Machin/Baker children . Apparently Emily, Henry & Ann were baptised on February 3rd 1880 in Christ church , Tunstall. Their respective ages being 16 , 14 & 10 . Parents were given as John & Mary Ann Machin .it doesn't say the John is deceased but I still think he died in 1874 . His brother , Thomas is still around in 1881 & on . I have yet to investigate some other information that has been passed on regarding these folks . Thanks again for your help. Keep hunting , Stockhome .
Stockhome

Postby sdup26 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:22 am

Hello Stockhome, good to hear you’ve had some help. If John died in 1874, and the children were baptised in 1880, it’s as if their mother was ‘legitimising’ them, by naming their father, but that’s just conjecture. We often don’t realise how complicated our ancestors’ lives were until we start investigating, which is what makes it so addictive. Good luck with future searches!
sdup26

Postby Stockhome » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:18 pm

With the help I have had , I think I have found out as much as I can about the Machin families . Many thanks to all who have passed on information . Stockhome .
Stockhome

Return to General research queries