Moderator Control Panel ]

WWI uniform information

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WWI uniform information

Postby copperjacket » Mon May 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi I'm trying to find my grandpas uniform, I think I've found it through email communication. The only problem the people who have say there is no Identifying marks on it saying who's it was. He was apart of the RASCMT(royal army service corp mechanical transport), is there any name tags or regimental numbers stamped or stitched somewhere on the uniforms?

Thanks
Rob Baycroft
copperjacket

Re: WWI uniform information

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:18 pm

You seriously need to ask that question in a forum that deals with military equipment and specifically uniforms. People like re-enactors are the best bet to answer that. Have a look at the Great War Forum - I think that they have subsections for equipment but can't swear to it.

You may be lucky here but it's not the sort of thing genealogists usually deal with.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: WWI uniform information

Postby jeffward » Thu May 21, 2015 2:26 pm

I would be very cautious about accepting that it was your grand father's actual uniform. It would not be difficult to obtain a uniform similar to the one he wore . But the actual uniform, I have serious doubts. In my experience uniforms were not numbered or tagged and in time of war could be changed or discarded quite frequently. I speak as an old soldier.
jeffward

Return to Military help